[Libs-Or] Presentation Dec. 9: History of Higher Ed in U.S.

Vondracek, Ruth ruth.vondracek at oregonstate.edu
Wed Dec 7 16:58:20 PST 2011

You are invited!

The OSU Libraries Faculty Association Seminar Series is pleased to have Tom Scheuermann<http://oregonstate.edu/education/people/adulthighered/scheuermann.html> present the history of higher education in the U.S.

When: Friday, December 9, 10:00-11:30

Where: Willamette Industries Seminar Rooms, Valley Library, Oregon State University, Corvallis Campus.

Title: A Brief Survey of the History of American Higher Education: Periods and Personalities, Progress and Protest

Description: This session will be an informal (and quick!) overview of American higher education, from the founding of Harvard in 1636 through the present.  We'll take a look at key periods in the development of higher ed, as well as some influential personalities that shaped our country's colleges and universities.  As we'll see, progress was often accompanied by protest -- and students were not the only ones who engaged in the latter.  From classical curriculum to campus corporatization, there has always been much to discuss and debate, whether in the nine colonial colleges or across the 4,000-plus institutions that currently comprise American higher education.  Some surprising stories and statistics will be shared, as will references for further exploration of the topic.  Time will be provided toward the end of the session for questions and informal discussion.

The presentation will take place on Friday, December 9, from 10:00-11:30, in the Willamette Industries Seminar Rooms on the third floor of the Valley Library (VL 3622). The OSU Libraries Faculty Seminar Series is free and open to all. Refreshments will be served. Persons wishing to attend who need accommodations for a disability may contact Laurie Bridges (541-737-8821); laurie.bridges at oregonstate.edu<mailto:laurie.bridges at oregonstate.edu>

Driving Directions and Maps: http://osulibrary.oregonstate.edu/locations/findus.html

Ruth Vondracek
Oregon Explorer, Social Science/Humanities Librarian
University Archives
Oregon State University
121 The Valley Library
Corvallis, OR 97331
Ruth.Vondracek at oregonstate.edu
voicemail: (541) 737-9273
fax: (541) 737-8224
OSU Libraries: information, service, innovation