[Libs-Or] Collection of links on science, medicine, scholarly communication and general Web stuff

hleman at samhealth.org hleman at samhealth.org
Sun Feb 27 13:55:32 PST 2011

Hi, all. Just want to pass along some links to various Web tools I have come across in recent weeks on Twitter.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services
815 NW 9th Street Suite 203A
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 768-5712

Preceden is an easy to use web-based tool that lets you make stunning timelines for just about anything.

http://preceden.com/

Screenr

Instant screencasts for Twitter

http://screenr.com/

Socioclean

http://www.socioclean.com/

When librarians have to think like marketers

If you sell something online you really need to try SnapEngage.
http://www.snapengage.com/

PowerPoint Diagrams for Scientific Presentations Ready to Use and Easy to Edit
http://www.motifolio.com/
The Pros and Cons of Twitter Newspapers
http://freelancefolder.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-twitter-newspapers/

FigShare:

Unless we as scientists publish all of our data, we will never achieve access to the sum of all scientific knowledge.

http://figshare.com/

Nice infographic on the semantic Web:

http://links.visibli.com/links/bd646e

18 Awesome Survey & Poll Apps
http://web.appstorm.net/roundups/18-awesome-survey-poll-apps/

mute Twitter users by keywords!
http://www.muuter.com/

twalala is a web-based Twitter client (currently in early development) that allows you to control what you see (and more importantly what you don’t see) in your twitterstream.

http://twalala.wordpress.com/what-is-twalala/

Can't find a link you've shared?
Trunk.ly automagically collects the links you share online ... and makes them searchable.
http://trunk.ly/

Dryad is an international repository of data underlying peer-reviewed articles in the basic and applied biosciences.

http://datadryad.org/

Linglink

This demo shows how natural language analysis can be used to choose among many specialized options and features that Google Search

I did not see the value of this, but others might

http://robocrunch.com/compare/

Create beautiful, reproducible documents including graphs and analysis from your raw data and code.

Dexy

http://www.dexy.it/

MemexPlex, an online tool to aide in the practice of active reading, research, and citation management.

http://www.memexplex.org/

Find and Use the Genomics Resources Relevant to Your Needs
OpenHelix

http://www.openhelix.com/

Tracking QR Code Performance
http://dowling.typepad.com/dowling/2011/01/tracking-qr-code-performance.html

Mind-Mapping Tools: bubbl.us
https://bubbl.us/

Add #twtbizcard to a @reply.
Send Your Contact Info.

http://www.twtbizcard.com/

Wylio: for image searching, embedding, attributing
http://blog.schoollibraryjournal.com/neverendingsearch/2011/01/20/wylio-for-image-searching-embedding-attributing

Read It Later
http://readitlaterlist.com/

Useful slideshow, “Why Aren’t we There Yet” on Open Science in biology:

http://www.slideshare.net/rdmpage/why-arent-we-there-yet

Introducing GetTheData.org
http://blog.okfn.org/2011/01/20/introducing-getthedataorg-ask-and-answer-data-related-questions/

See How You Can Build an iPhone or Android App in Minutes
MobiFlex

http://mobiflex.me/

PubCrawler is a free "alerting" service that scans daily updates to the NCBI Medline (PubMed) and GenBank databases

http://pubcrawler.gen.tcd.ie/

PeerIndex:

•  – More accurate personal PeerIndex
– Detailed profiles and more awesomeness
•  Ensures we measure all your activity and so produce a better profile of you
http://www.peerindex.net/

Open Attribute, a simple way to attribute CC-licensed works on the web

https://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/26443

Interesting compilation of links to various online patient communities

http://www.stumbleupon.com/stumbler/andrewspong/tag/patient-community/?grid

Important study to watch:

Study on Impact of Journal Data Policies
Towards understanding the impact of journal data archiving policies on attitudes, experiences, and practices of authors

http://studyonimpactofjournaldatapolicies.wordpress.com/about/about-the-investigators/

Useful guide:
How to License Research Data

http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/how-guides/license-research-data

Coming soon to a searchbox near you!

Greplin

https://www.greplin.com/

Lendle. The easiest, fastest, fairest, and best way to lend and borrow Kindle™ books.
http://lendle.me/

Yet another social curation tool—cute video

Pearltrees

http://www.pearltrees.com/

Google Public Data Explorer

http://www.google.com/publicdata/home

Very edifying sets of slides here:

The Digitization of Science:
Reproducibility and Interdisciplinary Knowledge Transfer

http://www.stanford.edu/~vcs/AAAS2011/

Many Eyes
Create a visualization in three easy steps

http://ht.ly/3XOWZ

Google recipe search exploits semantic web data in RDFa

http://ebiquity.umbc.edu/blogger/2011/02/26/google-recipe-search-exploits-semantic-web-data-in-rdfa/

This is a for-profit company, but it does have some interesting things to look at:

http://www.zmags.com/

http://www.zmags.com/showcase/

BMJ Open launches with innovative new features

http://blogs.bmj.com/bmj-journals-development-blog/2011/02/25/bmj-open-launches-with-innovative-new-features/

message.