[Libs-Or] Volunteer Opportunity

Michael Baird bairdm at wou.edu
Wed Jan 12 12:04:29 PST 2011

I've also given this discussion some thought. With some mulling over, I have
a few responses from the perspective of a recent grad and new professional:

1) I like to go by the philosophy of it always being OK to ask. The worst
that can happen is that you are turned down (or reprimanded via e-mail
discussion list?). The best that could happen is someone qualified thinks it
is an interesting project and would like to join in.

2) The initial message did not mention any support or guidance given to the
volunteer. My gut response to this is that the project may not be
appropriate for a current MLS student or recent grad. The reality is that
most current MLS students and recent grads do not have the practical skill
set to organize even a collection of 225 books in a worthwhile way without
significant guidance. This could easily turn into a huge waste of time for
the volunteer and a useless product for the organization.

3) Internships on the cheap are broadly accepted in the business world, I do
not see anything different with this situation. This could be a potentially
very valuable unpaid project for a student if there is a qualified person to
lend some experience and guidance to give them real value from the
experience. Even better, they could get credit toward their MLS for it, if
guided and supervised. The local Emporia program has an optional practicum
component that would fall along these lines.

Michael

---
Michael Baird
Information Literacy Librarian / CLIP Coordinator
Western Oregon University
345 Monmouth Ave N
Monmouth, OR 97361
bairdm at wou.edu / 503-838-8657