[Libs-Or] New Book Available at OSL: The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Jan 12 13:06:32 PST 2011

We recently added a new book to the Library and Information Science collection at OSL.  For information about how to borrow LIS materials, see the bottom section in this email.
[X]

                                                                                            [cid:80895e45-7ec2-4cc5-9184-5bc93df87ac3]

Hock, Randolph. The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook: A Guide for the Serious Searcher. 3rd ed. Medford, NJ: CyberAge Books, 2010. ISBN: 978-0-910965-84-2

Did you start your library career before the days of the Internet?
Are you a good Internet searcher looking to improve your strategies?
Do you have trouble finding images online? Videos? Podcasts? Info on the deep web?

If you answered yes to any of the questions above, this book -- parts or in its entirety -- should be useful.

>From the publisher:
The Extreme Searcher's Internet Handbook is the essential guide for anyone who uses the internet for research—librarians, teachers, students, writers, business professionals, and others who need to search the web proficiently. In this fully updated third edition, award-winning writer and internet trainer Ran Hock covers strategies and tools (including search engines, portals, and social networks) for all major areas of internet content. Readers with little to moderate searching experience will appreciate Hock's helpful, easy-to-follow advice, while experienced searchers will discover a wealth of new ideas, techniques, and resources. Anyone who teaches the internet will find this book indispensable. Supported by the author's web page.

Reviews:
Library Journal: “[Hock's] clear and useful guide will help anyone interested in going beyond Google, explaining when, why, and how best to use various search tools and other web resources.”

Choice: "The author retains his clear writing style, nice glossary, and handy surfing tips. ... should be required reading for librarians, online professionals, and anyone else who wants to get the most out of the internet. Recommended."

How to Request Materials from OSL
If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119.  Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos).  Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way.

OSL Blog and Online Catalog
Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog<http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/> to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection, and search our catalog<http://catalog.willamette.edu/screens/opacmenu_s2.html> for our complete holdings. The Library and Information Science collection is funded with LSTA money and is meant to support the whole Oregon library community.  We in Library Development at OSL welcome your suggestions for acquisitions.  See the blog for an input form or email us.

Thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant