[Libs-Or] Pronounce "pbook".

Mark Kille markakille at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 07:40:15 PST 2011

Okay, bringing back my undergraduate linguistics days...which were a
while ago, and the ten minutes of international phonetic alphabet
review I just did isn't really so much, so bear with me. :)

Going by typical English spelling usage, it would probably be
"pee-book," like "gee-mail." (I can already hear the kids giggling.)
If we take it as a word actually to be pronounced as spelled, a native
English speaker would probably come out with something like
"puh-BOOK."

Phonologically, technically /p/ is a bilabial voiceless consonant and
/b/ is a bilabial voiced consonant. It is possible for consonants to
have two simultaneous points of articulation, as in the single sound
"gb" found in several West African languages. But p and b have the
same point of articulation--both lips--and I can't find any reference
to a consonant being simultaneously voiced and voiceless. In practice
"pbook" would probably resolve as either "pook" or "book,"
phonologically.

I vote for "pb" being the bilabial percussive, otherwise known as the
sound of lips smacking. "Pbook" would then sound like "[smack]-ook."
Fun to say 10 times fast!

Mark Kille