[Libs-Or] Fwd: phone scam story

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:36:23 PST 2011

I had contacted the Special Districts Association of Oregon and suggested
they put an article in their newsletter.  This is what they posted today,
http://www.sdao.com/ref/newsletters/11janfeb.pdf:

--------------

Office Supply Scams on the Rise
*

An article from the Federal Trade Commission's Website
*

Has your business ever been targeted by an office supply scam? Could it?
Offi ce supply fraud costs its victims – large and small businesses, as well
as schools, government agencies, and nonprofit institutions – an estimated
$200 million per year. These scams generally involve the deceptive sale of
products that businesses purchase on a regular basis – like printer paper,
copy toner, light bulbs or cleaning materials.

Some fraudulent telemarketers may lie to get your company to pay for items
it never ordered, or to pay more than it agreed to – often five to 10 times
what the product or service is worth. Some callers pretend to be your
company’s regular supplier or offer a "special deal" that they claim is
"good for a limited time only."

The Federal Trade Commission urges employers to train their employees. Visit
http://www.ftc.gov/boss for more information on how to spot, stop and avoid
office supply scams.

If you think you’ve been the victim of an office scam contact the FTC at
877-FTC-IHELP.

--

*Diedre Conkling