[Libs-Or] Update from the Statewide Database Licensing Advisory Committee

Canon Crawford ccrawford at marylhurst.edu
Thu Jul 28 09:50:26 PDT 2011

Dear Oregon Library Community:

The Statewide Database Licensing Advisory Committee (SDLAC) represents all
Oregon libraries in the selection and procurement of databases funded at the
State Library with LSTA funds. At our last meeting in July 2011 we decided
it was time to provide a summary of what’s happening with the current
contract, a review of what’s currently offered, and who represents your
library on the SDLAC.

As most of you know, we began a two year contract in August 2009 with Gale
that included options for up to three additional years for our general
periodicals database. Members of SDLAC met in March 2011 to discuss the
renewal options prior to the two year expiration date on July 31, 2011, and
we decided to pursue a three year renewal if additional content were
provided to augment the current package of databases. In the even that
additional content was not provided, a one year renewal would have been
approved. The OSL staff worked diligently to facilitate discussions about
the additional content with representatives from Gale, and we received word
that Gale would offer additional database content and freeze the price of
the database package through July 31, 2014.  We reviewed a handful databases
that Gale offered, and after the selection process we are excited to
announce that both the *GREENR* and *U.S History in Context* databases will
be added in August 2011. The LSTA advisory council and then the State
Library Board approved the committee’s recommendation for a three year
contract expiring on July 31, 2014 with Gale.

The SDLAC will meet again this year to begin planning for the next RFP well
ahead of the expiration of the current contract. It is our goal to make a
decision by the end of 2013 to allow substantial time for approval and
constituent planning in 2014. We will also be working with OSL staff to
monitor developments related to the LSTA Five Year Plan and will be staying
informed of any changes to LSTA funding by the federal government.

In the meantime, allow me to summarize the content available to Oregon
libraries:

*Gale General Periodicals Databases*
*Opposing Viewpoints*
*New in August 2011: GREENR*
*New in August 2011: U.S. History in Context*
*LearningExpress*

Since SDLAC members represent specific library sizes and types, we also
wanted to remind you who your representatives are so you might contact them
if you have input about our work. You can find the minutes of past meetings,
committee member contact information and links to Gale and LearningExpress
support from the State Library website.

Statewide Database Licensing Program:
http://www.oregon.gov/OSL/LD/technology/sdlp/index.shtml

On behalf of the members of SDLAC, I would like to thank the OSL staff for
its support and ask for your input as we continue our work.

Sincerely,
Canon Crawford
Chair, SDLAC

--
*
Canon Crawford

MARYLHURST UNIVERSITY
You. Unlimited.
17600 PACIFIC HIGHWAY [HWY.43]
P.O. BOX 261  MARYLHURST, OR 97036-00261
marylhurst.edu
*