[Libs-Or] FW: Mixing in Math webinar in Oregon

Alice Laviolette alice.laviolette at state.or.us
Fri Jun 3 11:06:14 PDT 2011

From: Nuria Jaumot-Pascual [mailto:nuria_jaumot-pascual at terc.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 11:03 AM
To: refrequests; Kate McGann
Cc: Marlene Kliman
Subject: Mixing in Math webinar in Oregon

Dear Oregon colleagues,

I'm writing from TERC, a non-profit math and science education organization in Cambridge, MA.  For the last four years, the "Mixing in Math" group at TERC has been funded by the National Science Foundation to develop, research, and support implementation of math materials for libraries. Mixing in Math is designed to mesh with the activities that librarians usually do, such as book clubs, story times, displays, and craft programs. We emphasize accessibility, engaging the whole family, encouraging repeated experiences, and supporting local librarians in building capacity. Our approaches and activities were developed in conjunction with libraries in MA, CT, and NY.  All our English/Spanish materials are available on our website for free downloading (http://mixinginmath.terc.edu<http://mixinginmath.terc.edu/>).

I would like to invite you to explore our web site and share it with librarians who serve children and families. We would also like to offer a free webinar to show librarians how to use our website, and to explain how librarians across the US have used the materials with children and families. It could be part of your regular continuing education offerings or we could host it ourselves.

I would like to invite you to explore our web site, try out our activities and games, and take a look at our recent annual reports summarizing impacts of our projects (http://mixinginmath.terc.edu/aboutMiM/researchReports.cfm).  Please suggest some times in the coming weeks you'd be available for a phone call and we'll let you know what works for us.

We look forward to speaking with you.
Regards,

Nuria

--