[Libs-Or] ACTION Fwd: Immediate Action Needed on the Workforce Investment Act!

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 12:02:05 PDT 2011

Action needed
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kristin Murphy, ALA Washington Office <kmurphy at alawash.org>
Date: Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 9:37 AM
Subject: Immediate Action Needed on the Workforce Investment Act!
To: Diedre Conkling <diedrec at charter.net>

   *Immediate Action Needed on the Workforce Investment Act!!*

Take Action!
<http://capwiz.com/ala/issues/alert/?alertid=50773576&queueid=7045836636>

GREAT LEGISLATIVE OPPORTUNITY FOR PUBLIC LIBRARIES

We need your immediate action!

If you live in a state represented by any of these senators, who are members
of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee, please
call them at (202) 224-3121 by 5 pm EDT Tuesday, June 21, and ask them to
include libraries in the soon-to-be released Workforce Investment Act (WIA)
reauthorization legislation.  Also, encourage your senator to contact
Senators Harkin, Murray, Enzi or Isakson (the primary authors of this
legislation) that *these comments are important to them and they want these
changes in the WIA bill. *

On June 22, the Senate HELP Committee will introduce the WIA reauthorization
bill.  Libraries are currently not included in this legislation, but
libraries could benefit from parts of this bill if ALA’s recommended changes
are incorporated into the current draft.

Since this is time-sensitive, calls are far more effective than emails.

Senate HELP Committee Members:

Democrats:
Tom Harkin, Iowa
Barbara Mikulski, Maryland
Jeff Bingaman, New Mexico
Patty Murray, Washington
Bernard Sanders, Vermont
Bob Casey, Pennsylvania
Kay Hagan, North Carolina
Jeff Merkley, Oregon
Al Franken, Minnesota
Michael Bennet, Colorado
Sheldon Whitehouse, Rhode Island
Richard  Blumenthal, Connecticut

Republicans:
Michael Enzi, Wyoming
Lamar Alexander, Tennessee
Richard Burr, North Carolina
Johnny Isakson, Georgia
Rand Paul, Kentucky
Orrin Hatch, Utah
John McCain, Arizona
Pat Roberts, Kansas
Lisa Murkowski, Alaska
Mark Steven Kirk, Illinois

In 2009, 30 million people went to their public libraries to get employment
services, using free public access computers to apply for a job online,
create a resume, practice interview techniques, study for job certification
or learn digital literacy skills.

ALA asked the committee to ensure that public libraries are eligible for
funds for employment and training activities and encourages workforce
operators to partner with public libraries in the comments we submitted to
the Senate HELP
Committee<http://www.districtdispatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/ALA-Letter-and-Stakeholder-Form-for-WIA-Discussion-Draft-June-17-2011.pdf>on
Friday, June 17.   We also want to be on the local and state Workforce
Development Boards. Finally, we want to make sure that digital literacy
skills training is a part of the adult education part of the bill.

For any of our priorities to be added to the bill, they must be supported by
a Senator on the committee.

Ask the staff person you speak with for his or her email address and email
them the link to the ALA’s comments.

Talking Points:

   - 30 million people used library computers and Internet access for
   employment and career purposes
   - We want libraries included under uses of funds for employment and
   training activities
   - Establish employment resource centers in libraries
   - Libraries serve as partners in one-stop delivery system
   - Include public librarians on state and local workforce development
   boards
   - Include digital literacy skills in adult education

     If you no longer wish to receive e-mail from us, please click
here<http://capwiz.com/ala/lmx/u/?jobid=190574128&queueid=7045836636>.

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 WAR IS OBSOLETE<http://www.facebook.com/pages/WAR-IS-OBSOLETE/297916183027>
Holding resentment is like eating poison and waiting for the other person to
keel over. - Unknown Author