[Libs-Or] ACTION Fwd: [District Dispatch] Short-term bill funds Improving Literacy Through School Libraries but fight’s not over for FY2011

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 11:52:10 PST 2011

Short-term bill funds Improving Literacy Through School Libraries but
fight’s not over for FY2011 <http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5736>
March 03, 2011 ( No
Comments<http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5736#comments>)

With time running out before the current funding bill for federal programs
expired, Congress passed another short-term continuing resolution (CR)
(H.J.Res. 44) this week – dodging a government shut-down. The President
signed the bill yesterday, which makes $4 billion in cuts but will fund the
government for another two weeks at until March 18, 2011.

In this recently passed short-term CR, several U.S. Department of Education
programs were eliminated, including some literacy programs such as Striving
Readers ($250 million), Even Start ($66.5 million), and Reading is
Fundamental ($24.8 million).  However, Improving Literacy Through School
Libraries was one of the education programs that were not cut.  This
program, which was last appropriated at $19.1 million, provides school
libraries with up-to-date materials and will be funded at its current level
for another next two weeks.

It is clear that everyone’s efforts in contacting their senators and
congressional representatives have an effect; however, we are a long way
from protecting this program for the remainder of FY2011.  This short-term
CR will run out on March 18, and the U.S. House of Representatives sent a
bill (H.R. 1) to the Senate two weeks ago that would eliminate funding for
Improving Literacy Through School Libraries for FY 2011.

Please continue to put pressure on your elected officials to continue
library funding.  We may have earned a first down with this short-term CR,
but we are a long ways from winning the game!
http://www.wo.ala.org/districtdispatch/?p=5736

--

*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District