[Libs-Or] eBooks, Publishers, and Libraries // Library Renewal

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Wed Mar 16 08:21:05 PDT 2011

Some were discussing the HarperCollins "26 circs" policy on Libs-Or, so I thought you might be interested in this recent article in the New York Times online.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/business/media/15libraries.html?_r=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha25

Also, those who are interested in following the issue or challenge of providing electronic content in libraries might want to check out Library Renewal at http://libraryrenewal.org<http://libraryrenewal.org/>.  This is from their About Us page:
Ever wonder why libraries aren’t able to offer electronic content like ebooks, music files and streaming multimedia as well as they offer print materials, CDs and DVDs? We do too.
Why?
Turns out, it is a surprisingly complex situation to understand, let alone improve. So we have come together, with you, to address the  issue in bold new ways.  To that end, we do research, form strategic relationships, and create ways for you to get involved and let your voice be heard. If you believe the future of your library is tied to easy electronic content access, you have found your home base for those efforts.
Let’s take a stand and work together to ensure that your community can always reap the benefits of a library, even as technology evolves and content migrates to digital formats. Together, we are Library Renewal!
FYI,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant