[Libs-Or] Reminder: First Book Portland open meeting Monday Nov 14, 7:30-8:30 pm

Joanna Burgess burgessj at reed.edu
Fri Nov 11 13:08:53 PST 2011

Just a reminder about the First Book Portland open meeting this Monday,
November 14 from 7:30-8:30 pm at Cafe Pallino, 3003 SE Division St. (See
below for details.) I hope to see some of you there!

Best,
Joanna

Joanna Burgess
Digital Assets Librarian
Reed College Library
503-517-7629

Join the Portland First Book Board!

First Book (www.firstbook.org) is a national nonprofit organization that
gives new books to children from low-income families. The Portland
Advisory Board (www.firstbook.org/portlandor) has been active in the
Portland tri-counties since 1998, and has granted over 40,000 new books
to local literacy organizations such as: Mt. Hood Community College
Early Head Start, LifeWorks Northwest, Native American Rehabilitation
Association of the Northwest, and Virginia Garcia Memorial Health Center.

We are currently recruiting new enthusiastic volunteers to serve on the
Board, comprised of volunteers throughout the community, including
parents and individuals from various professional backgrounds. The
primary duties of the Board are to conduct fundraising campaigns and
award book grants every year, with a time commitment of 5-10
hours/month. Along with general Board members-at-large, we are
specifically looking for someone with publicity and/or design experience
to be our new Media/PR Chair.

If you are interested in helping increase youth literacy, please join us
at an information meeting on Monday, November 14 from 7:30-8:30 pm at
Caffe Pallino (3003 SE Division St), or contact
firstbookportland at gmail.com with questions.

The First Book Portland, OR Advisory Board