[Libs-Or] Ilago fall meeting minutes / Call for participation

Robert Monge monger at wou.edu
Wed Nov 30 09:55:02 PST 2011

Librarians,

We had a good start to figuring out the next steps for Ilago.

For those that couldn’t attend but still want to participate, we have
outlined a basic structure for the organization and established working
groups for a variety of issues including: What is our mission? Who can be
members? Exploring options/responsibilities of a fiscal agent (handling
money for Spring Summit, etc.)

We also are forming a group for planning the Spring Summit.

Unlike this fall meeting, these groups will meet via Skype or other
telecommuting way, so travel won’t be a requirement of participation.

Here are the minutes from the meeting. If you are interested in
participating in a workgroup, please contact the organizer of the workgroup
(listed below):

* *

*Ilago Fall Meeting Minutes – Nov 22, 2011 *

Those who attended were members from the current Ilago Board:

Chair-Robert Monge – Western Oregon University

Technology Officer--Jen Klaudinyi – Lane Community College

Member-at-large Uta Husson-Christian – Oregon State University

and ….

Mark Peterson – Linn-Benton Community College

Bryan Miyagishima – Linn Benton Community College

Amanda Bird – Mount Hood Community College

Jennifer Snoek-Brown—Mount Hood Community College

Garnetta Wilker – Jackson Middle School—Portland

Robin Shapiro – Portland Community College

Tracy Scharn – Western Oregon University

Carol Monders – St. Mary’s – Medford

Shannon Van Kirk – Blue Mountain Community College

Carol Dinges – Lebanon High School

Here is an overview of our conversation:

* *

*The Ilago Board*

* *

The make-up of the Ilago board should consist of:

Chair               1 year term  organizes fall meeting and Ilago board
meetings

Co-Chair          1 year term  (co-chair assists with chair duties /
co-chair becomes chair)

Past Chair        1 year term  (organizes spring summit)

Ideally the chair position would rotate between K-12, 2 year college, 4
year college member

Technology officer                  2 year term

Fiscal agent/liasion                 2 year term

K12, 2 year college, 4 year college member can serve in these positions

K12 at large member                         2 year term

2 year college at large member        2 year term

4 year college at large member        2 year term

 *  *

The board chiefly organizes the fall meeting and spring summit.

The board would also address issues (such as sending out a letter about the
importance of school librarians) in between the fall meeting and spring
summit.

*Fall Meeting /Spring Summit *

* *

We discussed setting up a Fall Meeting/Spring Summit format for Ilago

* *

*Fall Meeting *

Who can attend?

A representative from each 4 year institution, 2 year institution, and K12
(the number here will vary based on grade level, area of focus, and
region).

Meeting would be open to additional interested members

What is purpose?

To create a working agenda for the year. Create work groups and plan for
addressing agenda items. Review and discuss items from previous meetings.

* *

*Spring Summit*

* *

The spring summit will consist of presentations from fall work groups,
presentations about information literacy (not part of fall work groups),
and a business meeting for Ilago.

The spring summit will be held on a Saturday.

The following working groups have been formed:

*Mission Statement -- *Who we are? What we do? What makes us unique?**

Organizer: Robert Monge – monger at wou.edu

Tracy Scharn

Carol Monders

*Membership – *Who can be members? Logistics of keeping member list

Organizer: Jen Klaudinyi -- klaudinyij at lanecc.edu

Garnetta Wilker

* *

*Fiscal Agent – *options for handing money for spring summit

Organizer: Uta Husson-Christian--Uta.Hussong-Christian at oregonstate.edu

* *

*Spring Summit – *work group presentations, other IL related presentations,
business meeting

Organizer: Michele Burke--michele.burke at chemeketa.edu

* *

* *

*By-Laws *

* *

To be determined after mission statement and membership issues are resolved

*Other stuff we talked about *

In figuring out some of the above stuff, we also discussed:

How to get faculty involved?

How to use accrediting standards to implement IL

Using the AAOT to implement IL

What do we do? Models/best practices/ what worked/what didn’t

Assessment of IL

Assessment tools and methods

Growing number of International students and IL

IL in developmental classes

Intellectual property

These could be possible working groups or presentations at the Spring
Summit.

--
Robert Monge
Instruction Librarian