[Libs-Or] Dealing with Self-Published Titles

Patricia Skinner pskinner at astoria.or.us
Thu Oct 20 09:52:05 PDT 2011

Thanks to all you responded about how you deal with self-published titles. Your input will be helpful when writing up procedures and training staff.  You're the best!
Here is my original posting and the responses I received.

Original Posting
We get a large number of requests to add titles to library collections that do not have standard cataloging records.  Many of these are self-published.  Several requests are from local authors who may or may not have had their books edited or reviewed.  Do you accept the work of local authors when their work does not meet your selection criteria?  How do you deal with cataloging challenges of such titles?

At Hillsboro we decided that we would not purchase self-published materials. However we will include them in our collection under the following guidelines:

1.     The item must be donated to the library

2.     The item must have unique local interest or meet local demand

3.     The item must meet the guidelines of the overall Collection Development Policy

4.     Materials that are donated will be accepted by the library with the understanding that they will be evaluated and treated using the same criteria as purchased materials. Donors may not place any special conditions upon the loan or handling of the items. All donations to the library will be subject to all provisions of the Hillsboro Board Policy on Gifts.
We have a cataloger on staff that does the original cataloging on these titles
Karen
Karen Mejdrich
Technical Services/ Collection Development Manager
Hillsboro Public Library
Hillsboro OR