[Libs-Or] Suggestions for library program on Facebook?

Dolores Knight dknight at cclsd.org
Wed Oct 26 17:41:52 PDT 2011

 I teach a Facebook class and yes I set up a dummy account just for the
 purposes of teaching the class.  My demo account is the personal type as
 the accounts for organizations/business don't work the same and won't
 provide the interactions you are trying to teach them.

 I have them 'friend' my demo account with the understanding that I'm
 going to 'unfriend' them at the end of the class, again so that their
 privacy will be protected.  I explain this so there won't be any hurt
 feelings because I have unfriended them.  By unfriending them I also
 break the tenuous connection they had with the other students.  The
 practice during class of friending and seeing comments, and then the
 comments from strangers they aren't friends with, is what brings home to
 them how open Facebook can be.  And many won't understand Facebook's
 process until then.

 For my printed handout and PowerPoint demo I use screenshots with the
 personal bits blurred out if I've swiped them from my home account and
 it reveals a real person's name.  While teaching I switch quickly from
 the live demo account to these saved images in my PowerPoint.

 I do find the demo account to be pretty sparse given the inactivity,
 which can make it difficult to fully demonstrate what Facebook can do
 for them.  I plan to add content and additional photos to liven it up
 before I next teach this class.  That said, all you can really do is
 help them get their accounts set up, at least encourage them to set
 privacy limits, and give them some idea of what they can do with the
 account.  Be prepared to explain what the attraction of Facebook is and
 why on earth they would want to use it.  My students range from 60-90+
 years old (75 ave.?) and while they may be pressured by younger
 relatives to join, they don't necessarily see its purpose.

 And allow lots of time to teach this class.  I plan to split mine into
 two (or more) parts the next time I teach it.  When I have an assistant
 I offer to have their picture taken with the library's digital camera
 and then show them how to transfer and post pictures to their accounts.
 Then how to set a profile picture.  For many that's all they really want
 from the class so doing it as a stand alone session would be easier on
 everyone.

 Oh and make sure everyone who comes ALREADY has an email account since
 they cannot sign up for Facebook without one.  If you have extra time at
 the beginning and/or an assistant you can set them up quick with Yahoo
 but it's a delay to getting the class moving.  I try to talk to all the
 students who sign up so they know in advance that they need a web
 accessible email account.  I even offer to help them test their email
 accounts on the library's computers.  It really will speed things along
 on class day.

 Hope this helps...

--
 Dolores Knight, Head Reference Librarian
 Coos Bay Public Library