[Libs-Or] Thanks for all the help with Request for help with Google weirdness

Su Liudahl opalsu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 12:05:35 PDT 2011

Now if we could just figure out Facebook weirdness...

Thank you, Hope, for asking the question to start with. That's great
modeling for those of us who are afraid to show we don't know all the
answers. (Who can these days?!)

Su Liudahl
Lane Library District

On Friday, October 28, 2011, Hope Leman <hleman at samhealth.org> wrote:
> Hi, all. Whoa--are you guys helpful or what? I got so many responses to my
request for help with request for help with Google weirdness. Are you
knowledgeable and quick to help a colleague or what!?

> I will try to write up a summary of the responses I got in a few days. For
now, though, I was given three immediately useful suggestions.

> #1 Clicking on the gear icon at the righthand top of the Google page
displays a link to the advanced features page.

> #2 Do a search and the advanced features choice appears at the bottom (one
person also said on the left of the page, but I am still reading through all
the answers)

http://www.google.com/advanced_search

> Anyway, that is the gist of the plethora of answers so far and the theory
is that Google wants to catered to basic searchers and not to skillful ones,
so is dumbing down the homepage.

> I have so many thank-you notes to write now and will try to provide a
summary.

> I am very grateful. Sometimes, you have to just admit in public that you
need help and the heck with ego!

> Hope Leman, MLIS
> Research Information Technologist
> Center for Health Research and Quality
> Samaritan Health Services
> 815 NW 9th Street
> Corvallis, OR 97330
> (541) 768-5712

> and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
> message.
or the sender of the message, by phone or email.

--
Su Liudahl
Library Director