[Libs-Or] INFORMATION Fwd: Library Copyright Alliance speaks out against Authors Guild's decision to file a lawsuit against HathiTrust and partners

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 14:56:30 PDT 2011

fyi

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2011/09/library-copyright-alliance-speaks-out-against-authors-guild%e2%80%99s-decision-to-file-a-lawsuit-against-hathitrust-and-partners/

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jenni Terry <jterry at alawash.org>
Date: Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 2:00 PM
Subject: Library Copyright Alliance speaks out against Authors Guild's
decision to file a lawsuit against HathiTrust and partners
To: Diedre Conkling <diedre08 at gmail.com>

Library Copyright Alliance speaks out against Authors Guild's decision to
file a lawsuit against HathiTrust and partners

The Library Copyright Alliance (LCA), whose members include the  American
Library Association, the Association of Research Libraries, and  the
Association of College and Research Libraries, today released a
statement<http://capwiz.com/ala/utr/1/GHHHQNRJJY/BIOPQNRJQQ/7333311526>in
response to the Authors Guild’s decision to file a lawsuit, Authors
Guild, Inc. et al. v. HathiTrust et al., against HathiTrust and its
research library partners.

*LCA Statement on Authors Guild, Inc. et al. v. HathiTrust et al.*
*
*
We  are deeply disappointed by the Authors Guild’s decision to file a
lawsuit, Authors Guild, Inc. et al. v. HathiTrust et al., against
HathiTrust and its research library partners. The case has no merit, and
completely disregards the rights of libraries and their users under the
law, especially fair use. The HathiTrust and its partners have  assembled an
unprecedented digital resource that will ensure secure,  long-term
preservation of nearly 10 million volumes held in member  library
collections. The majority of these works are not available  commercially and
will disappear completely if not for library  stewardship. We applaud the
modest steps HathiTrust and its partners  have taken to foster those
“orphan” works whose owners have abandoned  them to library care. The
HathiTrust adds significant value to library  collections in support of
teaching, research, and learning, while  respecting the law. It is
deplorable that eight authors and three  special interest groups are trying
to dismantle this invaluable resource  out of a misplaced fear of the
digital future. We are confident the  court will not look kindly on this
shortsighted and ill-conceived  lawsuit. Authors Guild President Scott Turow
wrote earlier this year, “I  count myself as one of millions of Americans
whose life simply would  not be the same without the libraries that
supported my learning.” 1 It is a shame that the Authors Guild fails to
understand what Mr. Turow  expressed so well, the vital role that libraries
play in our cultural  ecosystem.

*1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-turow/letthemeatcakeattitude-th_b_823609.html
*

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 WAR IS OBSOLETE<http://www.facebook.com/pages/WAR-IS-OBSOLETE/297916183027>
Holding resentment is like eating poison and waiting for the other person to
keel over. - Unknown Author