[Libs-Or] Invitation - OSU Libraries Faculty Assoc. Seminar This Friday

Bridges, Laurie laurie.bridges at oregonstate.edu
Mon Apr 9 17:09:50 PDT 2012

The OSU Libraries Faculty Association Seminar Series is pleased to have Chris Marshall, Curator of the Oregon State Anthropod Collection, speak with us on April 13.

When: Friday, April 13, 10:00-11:30

Where: Willamette Industries Seminar Rooms, Valley Library, Oregon State University, Corvallis Campus

Title: A bookworm by any other name is...  recent challenges with bringing the largest insect collection in the Pacific Northwest online

We all know what a bookworm is... at least I'm assuming we do.  It's the beetle Anobium punctatum described by the entomologist Charles DeGeer in 1774.  During this talk, I'll present an introduction to the Oregon State Arthropod Collection, a natural history research collection that has been on campus since the later half of the 1800's and our efforts to bring this invaluable resource into the 21rst century.  Key in this effort is the goal to create an online resource that not only accesses the collection's data, but is an integral part of the museum's management.  I imagine that our efforts will remind individuals working in the library sciences of the seemingly impossible tasks faced by libraries in the 1980's as they moved from classical print records to computerized solutions - and there are many similarities.  Among the greatest challenges we face currently is the means by which our data, and metadata, will be shared with an ever growing body of online databases which - surprisingly - are not as well equipped to deal with the very real problem, namely: is Anobium punctatum by any other name really Anobium punctatum?