[Libs-Or] CSD Mock Caldecott Committee - Volunteers Needed!

Rick Samuelson ricks at wccls.org
Tue Apr 10 07:54:35 PDT 2012

Hi gang,

I apologize for any cross-posting....

CSD is in need of a few good people!

Sadly, our previous presenters & facilitators are not able develop OLA Children's Services Division's Mock Caldecott Award Workshop this year.  Because the CSD Executive Board feels that the Mock Caldecott is such a wonderful experience for our youth services library staff across the State, we have decided to embark on a new way of doing things.

We are happy to announce the Mock Caldecott Committee, a new volunteer opportunity for able-bodied CSD members!!

The Mock Caldecott Committee will consist in approximately 3-5 members.  The primary duties will include:
1)     Selecting 10 outstanding children's picture books that meet the Caldecott Criteria<http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia/caldecottmedal/caldecottterms/caldecottterms> for inclusion on the 2013 Mock Caldecott discussion list
2)     Working with the CSD Executive Board to identify and confirm 1-2 presenters for the 2013 Mock Caldecott Workshop

The date and location for the 2013 Mock Caldecott Workshop has been scheduled: January 5th from 9:30 am - 4:30 pm at the Tigard Public Library.

If you are an active CSD member and would like to volunteer to be on the Mock Caldecott Committee, simply send an email to Rick Samuelson (ricks at wccls.org<mailto:ricks at wccls.org>) with the following details:
a. Describe your past experience in selecting and evaluating picture books
b. Describe your past experience in art education, art history or art criticism

There's no need to sweat the questions.  We're just looking for a little information so we can put together a super-fantastic committee!

All committee work will be done electronically, although we hope committee members will be free to attend the workshop on January 5th.  The bulk of the workload will occur in early autumn.  We expect to have the discussion list and presenters finalized by the early part of November.  During the meantime, we will share titles and begin to have email discussions about possible Mock Caldecott titles.  If you love evaluating the art in children's picture books, this is the committee for you!

If this sounds like fun to you or you want a little more information, please drop me a line.

We hope to have the CSD Mock Caldecott Committee finalized by May 1st.

Thank you and best wishes!

Rick Samuelson, Youth Services Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
111 NE Lincoln, MS 58A
Hillsboro, OR 97124
(503) 648-9809 5#
ricks at wccls.org

"The clever men at Oxford
Know all that there is to be knowed.
But they none of them know one half as much
As intelligent Mr Toad!"
-Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows