[Libs-Or] Book Repair Workshop

Doyle, Miranda doylem at loswego.k12.or.us
Tue Feb 21 07:55:21 PST 2012

Hi all,

Our district is planning to hold a book repair workshop for our Library
Technology Assistants on April 13, provided by Kapco - please see the
description below. If you are also interested in scheduling a free
workshop for your school, public, or academic library while Kary is in
Oregon, you can contact her directly at:

Kary Barth
KBarth at kapco.com

Thanks,
Miranda Doyle
Librarian
Lake Oswego School District

The following description is designed for a three hour workshop that
allows time for hands on by participants.
Maximum number 20-25.

Kary Barth, regional sales manager for Kapco Library Products, has a
Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Illinois, Urbana and
has worked with libraries since 1990.
Formerly, the national library sales manager for Kapco, Kary authored a
basic book repair guide that was previously available from Kapco and has
presented book protection/repair workshops in various venues throughout
the US.

This workshop is designed to demonstrate quick and easy techniques for
extending shelf life on general circulating materials.  Prevention is
the key, but we will be addressing specific, common repairs:
re-inserting loose pages, broken spines, torn header caps, ripped and
torn pages.

Each participant is asked to bring: one or two paperback books,
preferably new or new-like, to demonstrate covering techniques:  a
hardbound book with a book jacket to demonstrate application of book
jacket covers; a stapled book or magazine; one hardbound book that needs
repair and a "naked" hardbound book; i.e., a hardbound book that does
NOT have a book jacket cover..

Each participant will be provided with a free sample packet of
materials.