[Libs-Or] OSLIS Lite

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Tue Jan 3 15:45:47 PST 2012

As of about mid-November, OSLIS was set up to redirect to OSLIS Lite if the original OSLIS went down. (See the email below for a refresher.) Unfortunately, the failover feature did not consistently work, and lately when OSLIS was down, some users were not automatically redirected to OSLIS Lite. That is unacceptable, so today we asked the vendor to take down OSLIS and point all OSLIS URLs to OSLIS Lite.

You’ll recall that OSLIS Lite is a separate webpage with links to the Gale databases, LearningExpress Library, and the three versions of Citation Maker. (See the attached PDF for a screenshot of what it looks like.) When you click on Gale PowerSearch, you will get a menu of all of the Gale databases available via the statewide contract. What OSLIS Lite does not offer is differentiated content (different versions for elementary and secondary students and educators), the information literacy lessons (Learn to Research section of OSLIS), the worksheets for Citation Maker, the OSLIST archive, and the My Stuff folder. Why not? Because all of those features or sections are tied to the code in OSLIS that is having problems.

Speaking of OSLIS code, two separate vendors have examined it and cannot identify what is causing the site to have sporadic downtime. Therefore, we have decided to rebuild OSLIS from scratch. That process will minimally take through April and possibly through the rest of this school year. In the meantime, OSLIS Lite will remain available, and you should be directed to it regardless of which OSLIS URL/s you have bookmarked. Naturally, I will let you know when we are ready to go live with the rebuilt OSLIS. (Our goal is not to redesign OSLIS; it is simply to build a stable version of the site.)

OSLIS Lite is a basic HTML page and is very stable. However, should you experience any access problems, please report them. Include the date and time that the problem occurred , the text of any error messages, screenshots if possible, and anything else that you think would help us identify or replicate the problem.

If you have questions, please ask.

Many thanks,
Jen

Jennifer Maurer