[Libs-Or] Non-urgent question for Public Libraries re disposition of fines, etc.: Summary

Laura Orr Laura_Orr at co.washington.or.us
Thu Mar 1 15:36:36 PST 2012

Hi all:

Thank you for many responses!

I'm glad to see not much has changed, though I've had to do a Car Guys
dope-slap since I forgot about the library districts, but then I'm in
the law library world, which has its own procedures and practices - and
traditions.

1) It seems as though most libraries deposit fines, etc. with their
jurisdiction's general fund, which makes sense.

2) Library districts keep their fines, which also makes sense.

3) Last, patrons still express "disappointment" that their fines aren't
going to "buy new books," but that sentiment also makes sense since the
average patron doesn't understand the budget process or library funding,
nor should they necessarily.  Sometimes we have to remind them that the
library very often comes out ahead.

Best regards - and thanks, again!

Laura