[Libs-Or] PROMISE: OPERATIC DRAMA ABOUT SCULPTOR CAMILLE CLAUDEL

Ruth Metz ruthmetz at spiretech.com
Mon Mar 12 09:40:47 PDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

You and your library communities might wish to know about an upcoming
production-Promise-an operatic drama that Theresa Koon wrote about the
sculptor Camille Claudel.  It is playing only 4 times-April 13, 14 at
Ainsworth House and Gardens in Oregon City and April 20 and 22 at Scottish
Rite Center Theater in Portland.   See the following message with details
from Theresa Koon.

 I am writing to ask for your help in getting the word out about the
upcoming production of Promise, an operatic drama I wrote about the sculptor
Camille Claudel. I've been working with a wonderful group of performers and
directors to bring Promise to life. Kevin Yell, our inspired director, has
woven elements of dance and movement into the passionate story.  Students at
the Pacific NW College of Art have created sculptures for us to help
illuminate Camille's tortured relationship with her art.  David Hattner from
Portland Youth Philharmonic will conduct the lively ensemble of 45th
Parallel and a group of talented singers and actors from the Northwest and
beyond. I hope you will mark your calendar, as there are just four shows,
April 13th and 14th at the Ainsworth House & Gardens in Oregon City, and
April 20th and 22nd at Scottish Rite Center Theater, Portland.  Ticket
information is given below.

 In exploring the story of Camille Claudel, I was fascinated by a quality of
radiant stillness in her work, combined with an atmosphere of spiritual
eroticism--a combination I had never seen before. I wanted to understand
what moved Camille to destroy her art and withdraw it from the world.  What
did that say about her and about the society in which she lived?  Did her
relationship with her brother Paul Claudel influence the eventual choices
she made?  As many of you know, while working on this newest version of
Promise I have enjoyed the mentorship of award-winning playwright and
librettist John Murrell.  I hope you will come to see the direction this
work has taken.

 Here is an excerpt from our current press release about Promise:

 Camille Claudel was a risk-taking artist in France who studied with the
famous Rodin in Paris during the late 1800s. This operatic drama hybrid
travels through her life as a sculptor, lover, sister, daughter and the
artist she became.  Although most known for her progressive, sensual and
autobiographic works, Claudel haunts history for destroying many of her own
sculptures. Theresa Koon's passionate portrait paints Claudel's tumultuous
struggle with her family, her affair with Rodin and her burning inner
conflict about whether or not to allow her creativity out in the world. All
these elements influenced her eventual unraveling into the renowned icon
that she is remembered as today.

 If you are willing to share information about this production with your
networks, I would be most grateful. Please let me know if you need
additional information or the full press release. There is also more
information on the website at  <http://www.promisetheopera.wordpress.com/>
www.promisetheopera.wordpress.com.

 For groups interested in buying tickets, we have a discounted rate for
groups of 20 or more.

 For people coming from out of town, we have arranged for discounted rooms
at the DeLuxe Hotel in Portland, which is next door to the Scottish Rite
Center Theater.  Simply mention Promise when you make your reservation:
503-219-2094.

 I look forward to seeing you in April!

 In gratitude,

Theresa

Promise

Libretto and Music by:      Theresa Koon

Directed by:                           Kevin Yell

Conducted by:                      David Hattner

Featured Artists:               Eleanor Stallcop-Horrox, Jon Kolbet, Doug
Webster, Stephen Guntli,
Carrie Rambo, Erika Little, Shannon Jones, Katie Krueger, Catherine Olson

Musicians:                                              Erica Melton, Greg
Ewer, Justin Kagan, Jerry Simas

Additional Music by:          Christy Slovacek

Dramaturgical Editing by: John Murrell

Performance Dates:           April 13 & 14 @ 7:30pm - Ainsworth House &
Gardens, Oregon City

                                                    April 20 @ 7:30pm &
April 22 @ 2pm - Scottish Rite Center Theater, Portland

Tickets:                                    $20 adults/$15 Students/Seniors
at  <http://www.boxofficetickets.com/> www.boxofficetickets.com

More info: