[Libs-Or] Civics for Adults workshop series begin June 19th at Concordia College

Donna Cohen dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Fri May 18 11:15:00 PDT 2012

Hello all,

We now have dates and times set up for the six workshops. I hope you will
think about attending. We have a great venue at Concordia University. And,
please spread the word.

These six workshops - which can attend individually or as a group - include
topics such as critical analysis of political news, the citizens' rights and
responsibilities, how to influence civic life, how to find good quality
political information, the 2012 election and more. We'll have some great
guests, lively discussions, a variety of short multi-media pieces and much
more. Below is the outline; it is also attached.

Civics for Adults
Workshops to Enhance Civic Knowledge and Inspire Political Engagement
An Occupy Portland – “Our School” Workshop Series

	Participatory democracy is an illusion if people aren’t involved.
Understanding how government works, and meaningful civic engagement is
necessary, especially in these times of powerful anti-democratic interests.
We can’t just give up. If anything, we have to work harder. And, be smarter.
And, work together. That’s what we’ll do in these workshops.

Facilitator: Donna L Cohen, M.Ed. M.L.I.S.  dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
Tuesday nights, 6:30-8:30, June 19, 2012 – July 31, 2012 [except for July 3]
Concordia University, George R. White Library [NE 29th and NE Rosa Parks
Way] Community Room [Ground floor, east end of the library, 29th St side.]
Come to any or all – space holds 20; regulars and people who arrive early
will get preference

	Every class will include: Topical discussions; analysis of a news
article or similar; resources; Some classes will include: Guest speaker(s);
debates [informal]; games; research [including surveys]; primary source
materials [historical and current]; designing a civic action; designing a
media item. Guest speaker topics may be on different days depending on the
guest’s schedule!

June 19 - Workshop One  	Overview, Civic Literacy, Critical Thinking
		Civics Literacy. 27% of citizens in a Newsweek poll couldn’t
name the Vice-President. How is our nation’s civic literacy?
		Civic Dialog. How to dialog
		Information Literacy and Critical Thinking. How does one
evaluate information for authenticity, accuracy and usefulness? How do we
encourage critical thinking? How to evaluate poll data. Taught by an
information professional.
		Access to Government Information, and Quality Government
Information Resources. How to find information, and strategies for keeping
up to date.

June 26 - Workshop Two		Government  Basics
		Quick chronology of the essential founding dates/events.
		Looking at foundational documents.
		What were some of the main disagreements at the founding?
Did they get resolved?
		Basics of Government. Possible guest speaker  – legislator
or local gov official.

July 3 – No workshop

July 10 - Workshop 	 Three	Citizen Rights and Responsibilities
		Bills of Rights. There are actually  many.
		Voting. Voting rights – history and current state of
affairs. Voting processes. Elected vs appointed government officials.
		Government revenue and spending. Budgets and Taxes.  Guest
from Tax Fairness Oregon.

July 17 - Workshop Four	   	Influencing Governments / Social Change
		Influence of money on government
		How to Influence Government – from within
		How to Influence Government – from without
		Guest: Senator Chip Shields

July 24 - Workshop Five		2012 Election
		Tracking election and campaign finance information
		Candidate and campaign information; how to find, how to
analyze

July 31 - Workshop Six		Now What?
		Take some action around an issue? Which? How?
		Continue education efforts, be part of it?

Donna

Donna L Cohen, MLIS, MEd
D L Cohen Information Services
Portland, Oregon
503-737-1425
dcohen at dcoheninfo.com
www.dcoheninfo.com

Information is power....if you can find it!