[Libs-Or] Fwd: Sign White House Petition on Access to Federally Funded Research

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 12:24:25 PDT 2012

This may be of interest to many of you.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Abigail Goben <abigailgoben at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, May 21, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Subject: [PubLib] Sign White House Petition on Access to Federally Funded
Research
To: publib at listserv.oclc.org

Sharing this from the ARL-Directors list. Please consider signing to allow
broader access for public library patrons!

May 17, 2012

TO:             Directors of ARL Libraries

FROM:        Prue Adler

RE:             White House Petition on Access to Federally Funded Research
Results

As you know, the Obama Administration has been actively considering the
issue of public access to the results of federally funded research.  Some
of you participated in the RFI on this topic and I thank you for your
participation as that has helped keep the White House interested in this
issue. We now have a brief, critical window of opportunity to demonstrate
our strong commitment to expanding the NIH Public Access Policy to all U.S.
federal science agencies. The Obama Administration is currently considering
which policy priorities they will act on before the 2012 Presidential
election season swings into high gear. We need to ensure that public access
to the results of federally funded research is one of those priorities.

Today, a petition calling for Public Access to Federally Funded Research
Results was posted on the White House's "We the People" site (Require free
access over the Internet to scientific journal articles arising from
taxpayer-funded research). If the petition garners 25,000 signatures within
30 days, it will be reviewed by White House staff, and considered for
action.

This is a request that you 1) sign the petition so we can reach 25,000
signatories and 2) share this request with your staff and colleagues.  The
petition is available at: *wh.gov/6TH* <http://wh.gov/6TH> . Qualified
signatories must be at least 13 years old, have a valid email address, and
may be from inside or outside of the US.  This type of action can have real
impact if we reach the 25,000 signature goal - the White House takes this
petition site very seriously, and is particularly cognizant of public
opinion as the Presidential election draws closer.

I know in the recent past, some individuals experienced difficulties in
participating in the "We the People" website. We have been assured that
this application has been improved.

My thanks in advance for your support of this effort - taking action now
can make a difference!

 Prudence S. Adler
Associate Executive Director
Association of Research Libraries
21 Dupont Circle, N.W., Suite 800
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 296-2296 x104 (phone)
(202) 872-0884      (fax)
prue at arl.org

Groups "ARL-DIRECTORS" group.
arl-directors+unsubscribe at arl.org
For more options, and to view the archives, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/a/arl.org/group/arl-directors?hl=en

You may need to log in to view the archive. If this is required, you will
need a Google account associated with the email address under which you are
subscribed to this group. For more information on creating a Google account
see http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?answer=27441. For
information on associating an existing Google account with your subscribed
email address see
http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=86635.
For information on logging into an ARL sponsored group see
https://sites.google.com/a/arl.org/techguides_arl/login.

--
Abigail Goben, MLS
abigailgoben at gmail.com
http://HedgehogLibrarian.com

Post to publib at webjunction.org
To drop or change your list settings
http://listserv.oclc.org/scripts/wa.exe?REPORT
List archives at
http://listserv.oclc.org/archives/publib.html

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou