[Libs-Or] INFORMATION: How an outdated law may endanger your fouth amendment rights

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 13:09:13 PST 2012

http://networkedblogs.com/EEuHg?ref=nf

How an outdated law may endanger your fouth amendment rights
Posted on November 12, 2012 by jmcgilvray |

<http://www.vanishingrights.com/>

The ALA joins with like-minded groups such as the Center for Democracy and
Technology <https://www.cdt.org/> and the Electronic Frontier
Foundation<https://www.eff.org/>in a new campaign to reform the
Electronic Communications Privacy Act (
ECPA <http://www.districtdispatch.org/tag/ecpa/>). The campaign site is
VanishingRights.com <http://www.vanishingrights.com/>.

ECPA was last updated in the mid-1980s and describes the lengths that
government may go to in order to access private digital information. At a
time when cloud computing is taking off and more and more of our daily
interactions take place in the cloud, clarity of this law is essential. The
government currently claims that our private information that resides in
the cloud and the location information that can be accessed via our mobile
phones is accessible without a warrant.

We firmly disagree! The 4th amendment reads as follows:

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated,
and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or
affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
persons or things to be seized.

Vanishing Rights is a campaign to help fight for our rights that were
guaranteed in the 4th amendment. Now is the time to update ECPA to ensure
that we receive privacy in our electronic communications just as we do for
a letter sent via the US Postal Service.

Stay tuned as this is predicted to be a fast moving issue!

http://networkedblogs.com/EEuHg?ref=nf

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou