[Libs-Or] Catlin Gabel Upper School Library is building its substitute list

Phillips, Sue PhillipsS at catlin.edu
Thu Oct 25 21:10:40 PDT 2012

The Catlin Gabel School is an independent pre-K through 12 school located on SW Barnes Rd. in Portland.  We are building our substitute librarian and library assistant list.  If you have library experience, are highly organized, have great people skills, and are comfortable working with smart, delightful teenagers in a beautiful, congenial environment, please apply. Library school students or not-yet-employed library professionals who wonder what it is like to work in an independent school library may welcome a chance to obtain some short-term paid experience. I am building a substitute list for future openings in any of our three libraries.

Our Upper School Library serves about 310 students and 45 faculty, as well as a broad range of faculty, staff, parents and students from other divisions of the school.  Hours are Mon-Fri, from 7:30am to 5pm, with the librarian and the library assistant arranging their schedules to maintain coverage.  While the substitute assistant rate of pay is modest, the environment, people, and experience are all delightful.  Successful applicants must be able to pass a background check through our Human Resources department.  Work duties as a substitute in the library may include:

• Using the library catalog (Follett Destiny) to check materials in/out
• Checking in periodicals and managing the mail
• Cataloging and preparing books and DVDs for the collection
• Supervising teenagers in a busy, productive, quiet study space
• Assisting with some light reference
• Managing busy course reserve shelves

TO APPLY:  Please email me with a letter of interest, along with a resume and three references.  Please put "Applying for Library Substitute List" in the subject line.  I will be in touch soon regarding next steps.

Thank you for your interest.
--Sue
--

Sue Phillips