[Libs-Or] OLA Legislative Day -- Privacy Template

Emily Ford fordemily at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 12:32:44 PDT 2013

 Hi Oregon Library Community,
Again today I'd like to remind you of OLA Legislative Day on Monday, April
8th. For more information regarding the schedule, please visit the OLA
Legislative Network Wiki's page on OLA Legislative Day.
http://olanetwork.wikispaces.com/OLA+Legislative+Day

For those of you unable to visit Salem on Monday, we hoped you may consider
participating by phoning or emailing your Senators and Representatives. The
fourth of four issues we would like to discuss on Legislative Day is
individuals' rights to privacy on social media. OLA has an issue brief
accessible online at:
http://www.olaweb.org/assets/Legislative/leg_social%20media.pdf

Below is a template that you can use to email your representatives about
this important topic. Please consider using this template to email your
state legislators on Monday.

Cheers,
Emily

April 8, 2013

Dear _______________,

I am writing today to ask you to support individuals’ rights to privacy on
social media.

Libraries and librarians value free expression and privacy. As a librarian
I value them, too. There are currently two bills under consideration in the
Oregon State Legislature related to privacy. Both are preventive measures
that would ensure employee privacy protections on social media.

Libraries and librarians are engaging in *digital
literacy<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2012/04/defining-digital-literacy/>
* initiatives, of which social media education and privacy are a part.
Digital literacy is “the ability to use information and communication
technologies to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information
requiring both cognitive and technical skills” (American Library
Association). We are increasingly aware of how technology is changing
libraries, the services we provide, and the issue we address. Moreover, as
libraries work to support job seekers and the unemployed, they are on the
front lines of social media privacy issues.

I urge you to support individuals’ rights to privacy by:

   -

   Supporting HB 2654/SB 344.

As a librarian, your constituent, and a social media user, I would rest
assured knowing that my communication on social media sites was protected
from employers’ inquiries.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,