[Libs-Or] Day of Action to Demand ECPA Reform

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 16:27:05 PST 2013

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/12/day-action-demand-ecpa-reform/

Day of Action to Demand ECPA Reform
Posted on December 5, 2013 by Jazzy Wright

Today, the American Library Association is joining a nationwide day of
action calling for reform of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
(ECPA), the law that says the government can access your email and
documents in the cloud without a warrant.

ECPA is one of the Internet's most outdated laws - it was enacted in 1986,
before most people had access to a home computer or email. While the public
has been rightfully outraged over reports that the NSA accesses
communications without a warrant, ECPA says that hundreds of other
government agencies--like the IRS, FBI, and DEA, as well as state and local
law enforcement agencies--can access many of our stored emails, private
social media messages, and documents in the cloud without getting a warrant
from a judge. The law flies directly in the face of our Fourth Amendment
values.

Bills to reform ECPA have gained huge support in recent months from both
parties in Congress. However, legislation is now being blocked by a power
grab from the Securities and Exchange Commission, which is pushing for a
special carve-out for regulatory agencies to get your documents from online
providers without a warrant. The SEC carve-out would neuter ECPA reform.

That's why we're calling on the White House to break its silence and stand
up for ECPA reform. We need President Obama to tell the SEC to back down in
its demands for troubling new powers and make clear that the time for ECPA
reform is now.

Today we ask you join us by signing this petition
<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/reform-ecpa-tell-government-get-warrant/nq258dxk>to
the White House. It's time for the President to join hundreds of tech
companies, startups,
advocates<http://digitaldueprocess.org/index.cfm?objectid=DF652CE0-2552-11DF-B455000C296BA163>,
and Members of Congress by supporting this commonsense, long overdue reform
to ensure our privacy rights online.

*Participating organizations:*

*Access*
* ACLU*
* Americans for Tax Reform*
* American Library Association*
* Center for Democracy & Technology*
* Demand Progress*
* Disconnect*
* Electronic Frontier Foundation*
* Engine Advocacy*
* Fight for the Future*
* Free Press*
* Google*
* Internet Infrastructure Coalition*
* Liberty Coalition*
* Open Technology Institute*
* R Street*
* SpiderOak*
* TechFreedom*
* Twitter*

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/12/day-action-demand-ecpa-reform/

--
*Diedre Conkling*

*Lincoln County Library DistrictP.O. Box 2027Newport, OR 97365Phone & Fax:
541-265-3066Work email**:
**diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org*<diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org>
*Home email: **diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou