[Libs-Or] The Conversation Project Seeks Scholars, Innovators, Thinkers, and Leaders

Annie Kaffen a.kaffen at oregonhumanities.org
Wed Jan 9 14:19:25 PST 2013

(with apologies for duplication)

The Conversation Project Seeks Scholars, Innovators, Thinkers, and Leaders

Oregon Humanities is an independent, nonprofit affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities and a statewide cultural partner of the Oregon Cultural Trust. Our mission is to connect Oregonians to ideas that change lives and transform communities.

The Conversation Project offers Oregon nonprofits free, educational public discussion programs about important topics that affect our daily lives such as racial diversity in Oregon, gender and pop music, and alternatives to incarceration, as well as civility and democracy, friendship, the changing news media, and returning veterans’ experiences of life after war. Our goal for the Conversation Project is that diverse communities statewide have the opportunity to engage in humanities-based, public conversations that are timely and relevant. Since the program began in 2009, Oregon libraries have hosted fifty percent of all conversations that have taken place across the state!

Oregon Humanities is seeking humanities scholars, artists, community leaders, innovators, provocateurs, and other engaged thinkers to be conversation leaders for our 2013-15 season. We are seeking individuals who are smart, passionate about ideas, and curious—who understand the role of the humanities in the public sphere, but who are also teachers at heart, regardless of their day job. We are looking for people who value listening as much as speaking, and who are willing to step out from behind the podium and lead an active conversation among participants rather than simply offering lectures followed by Q&A. Ultimately, we want connectors—those unique individuals who can bring together neighbors and strangers alike in thoughtful, meaningful discussions about ideas that matter.

If this sounds like you or someone you know, consider proposing a Conversation Project program!

Visit oregonhumanities.org to read the full Request for Proposals and apply online. The application deadline is March 8, 2013.

Join OH program staff for a training webinar on how to write a strong Conversation Project proposal. The webinar will take place Wednesday, February 13 at 11:00am. Follow this link for more information and to register:

https://oregonhumanities.webex.com/oregonhumanities/onstage/g.php?t=a&d=668489716

For questions, contact Director of Programs Jennifer Allen at (503) 241-0543 or (800) 735- 0543, ext 118 or j.allen at oregonhumanities.org

--
Annie Kaffen