[Libs-Or] Final Report on State Textbook Cost Task Force and shameless plug

Tony Greiner tony_greiner at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 14:54:52 PST 2013

Hello Colleagues: The final report of the State Taskforce to investigate ways to lower textbook costs has been released. I was a member of this taskforce. http://www.oregonedccc.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/ExecutiveSummary-4058report-11-1-12.pdf The taskforce was charged with finding things the legislature could do to help reduce the textbook cost burden. As a result of that mission, some things that can be done were mentioned, but no recommendation was put on them, because you can't force an instructor to use an open source textbook. In the end, all we did regarding libraries is to say there should be more exploration of using library reserves. So along that lines, here is a link to an open-source article on an experiment in putting copies of all required textbooks on library reserve at Portland Community College. http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/libphilprac/838/ Shameless Tony

**tony_greiner at hotmail.com**