[Libs-Or] INFORMATION: Today: Macmillan Readies for Library Ebook Lending Market

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 22:55:00 PST 2013

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/01/today-macmillan-readies-for-library-ebook-lending-market/

Today: Macmillan Readies for Library Ebook Lending Market
Posted on January 24, 2013 by Jazzy Wright

Today, on the eve of the American Library Association's Midwinter Meeting
in Seattle, Macmillan Publishers announced that it will enter the library
e-book lending market (with a pilot program) by March 2013. Read the
Macmillan press release for more
details.<http://www.districtdispatch.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Macmillan-e-Lending-Announcement.pdf>

immediately released
<http://americanlibrariesmagazine.org/news/ala/ala-applauds-macmillan-publishers-entry-library-market>the
following statement:

*"I am so pleased Macmillan Publishers is beginning to sell e-books to
America's libraries so that we may connect their authors and our readers in
the digital age. This is a welcome acknowledgment of our advocacy and the
importance of the library market. We have always known that library lending
encourages patrons to experiment by sampling new authors, topics and
genres. This experimentation stimulates the market for books, with the
library serving as a critical de facto discovery, promotion and awareness
service for authors and publishers.*

*"Almost exactly one year ago, the ALA began this conversation with
Macmillan CEO John Sargent and his leadership team, and regular
communications have continued as the company stated it would launch its
pilot last September. While today's announcement is only a first step, we
look forward to the release of more details about the pilot and continuing
work together to bring even more Macmilllan e-titles to libraries in the
future.*

*"I am glad they are willing to try new business models in collaboration
with libraries. This is an important development in our evolving
relationship with publishers and intermediaries. ALA and our nation's
libraries welcome new partners in creating and supporting a nation of
readers.*

*"We will continue our work to develop these relationships and to create
new opportunities with publishers, authors and intermediaries to support a
healthy reading ecosystem.*

*"Libraries stand with readers, thinkers, writers, dreamers and inventors.
Books and knowledge -- in all their forms -- are essential."*

*
*

*
*

*
*

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou