[Libs-Or] Josephy Library Blog -- Rail Routes West -- 7-3-13

Rich Wandschneider rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 09:07:31 PDT 2013

For folks with a keen interest in Western history, our Josephy Library is a
small treasure ground. And like any treasure field, the prizes show up
almost at random.

Summer intern Erik Johnson, a bibliophile and student of Don Snow’s at
Whitman College, suggested I take a look at this one yesterday. He guessed
that it was one of our rarer holdings.

And I think he’s right: Volume VI of the *Reports of Explorations and
Surveys, to Ascertain the Most Practicable and Economic Route for a
Railroad from the Mississippi River to the Pacific Ocean*, a twelve-volume
mammoth undertaking exploring four prospective railroad routes to the
Pacific, made by the Army Corps of Topographical Engineers to the Secretary
of War, published between 1855 and 1860.

Volume VI is the report of Lt. Henry Abbot on potential railroad routes
from Sacramento Valley to the Columbia River...
http://josephylibrary.blogspot.com/

Happy fourth!
rich

rich.wandschneider at gmail.com