[Libs-Or] Oregonian's new 4 day delivery schedule in October

Leah Griffith leah.griffith at newbergoregon.gov
Tue Jul 9 12:00:03 PDT 2013

So... is anyone making plans or talking to the Oregonian about libraries being able to get 7 day delivery (like retirement homes) when they move to their 4 day delivery schedule in October?

Is this something that OLA could do for all of us, or Multnomah County, are you talking to them?  Should we all be calling them?   I certainly am not planning on stopping at a box or the store on the way to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays to provide my patrons with the newspaper, but I really hate the idea of not providing the paper on those three days.

Here's the abbreviated article, if you missed it.

The Oregonian will go to four-day home delivery
By Brent Hunsberger, The Oregonian <http://connect.oregonlive.com/staff/bhunsber/posts.html>
June 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM, updated June 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

The Oregonian, the state's largest and longest continuously published newspaper, will curb home delivery to four days a week and lay off some staff as it reorganizes operations to emphasize online news.

The newspaper will continue to publish seven days a week. Advance Publications Inc., the paper's New Jersey-based owner, will close Oregonian Publishing Co. on Oct. 1 and begin operating The Oregonian<http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian> and affiliate OregonLive.com<http://www.oregonlive.com/> through a subsidiary called Oregonian Media Group.

.............................   See the full article at http://tinyurl.com/nxwagxf  ...............................

Continuing:   The Oregonian, first published as the Weekly Oregonian in 1850, will be sold only on newsstands on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. It will be delivered to subscribers and available for single copy purchase on Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. Print subscribers will also get an electronic edition of each day's paper<http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ODE/Oregonian/>, and many retirement homes will continue to get daily print editions.

LG:  so can libraries be like retirement homes?   OK, I don't like that analogy, but you know what I mean ;-)
Thoughts?

Leah
Leah M. Griffith
Director,   Newberg Public Library     503-537-1256