[Libs-Or] New Edition of "Fishing in Oregon" now available.

Tony Greiner tony_greiner at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 09:17:32 PDT 2013

I was contacted by the author of Fishing in Oregon and asked if I was still in
the review business. For her, and since this is a new edition of a standard, I made an exception. I bought a competing guide
last year because it had been 6 years since the last edition of  Fishing
in Oregon, and boy could I tell the difference. But my wait is over, as the
new edition came off the presses at the start of June.

Fishing in Oregon
continues to be a ‘must have’ for almost all Oregon libraries. It is organized
by region and then body of water, with good clear maps showing boat
launches  There is information on
the type of fish, when and if they are stocked, and notes about good bank
fishing, and where to ask permission to fish.

Best of all, the new edition takes into account some of the
changes in the state’s geography. For example, over 200,000 kokanee left Lake
Billy Chinook in 2010 when a fish passage was connected to the Deshutes, and it
has become more of a trout lake then a kokanee harbor. Likewise, the removal of
dams on the Rogue, Hood and Sandy Rivers have changed those streams and the
fish in them. In other words, even if you have an old edition, you want the new
one.

Extra attractions are a list of good spots for fishing with
kids (and a different list for the disabled), telephone contacts, and record
catches.
Fishing in Oregon. 11th Edition. (June 2013.) Madelynne Sheehan. Flying Pencil Publications, 33126 SW Callahan Rd, Scappoose, OR 97-56. www.fishinginoregon.net

$29.95. Indexed. Paperback, 400 pages, with many maps and
photos.   You can order from
Flying Pencil, or from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, or I suspect the major library
vendors.

**tony_greiner at hotmail.com**