[Libs-Or] Questions about Census or American Fact Finder?

Arlene Weible arlene.weible at state.or.us
Thu Mar 7 14:53:11 PST 2013

The Documents Interest Group of Oregon (DIGOR) is sponsoring the following training session at the OLA/WLA Conference

Title: Mining the Wealth of Demographic Data: American FactFinder
Thursday, 4/25/2013, 4:00-5:15 pm

American FactFinder (AFF) is a powerful and FREE online tool to compile custom tables and maps from Census data. Learn about using AFF
to mine the wealth of demographic data available for your community, including tips for assisting library patrons as they navigate this
complex but useful site. Also learn more about the services provided by the Census' State Data Center network. Feel free to bring your
laptop to practice.
Speaker:
Charles Rynerson, Oregon State Data Center Coordinator, Population Research Center, Portland State University

To prepare for the session, our presenter would like know more about common questions library staff are encountering when using  American Fact Finder<http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml>. This could include questions you've had when helping library users or when doing your own research.

We would also like to know more about statistics that would be helpful as libraries conduct community analysis activities.

If you have any suggestions for questions or types of statistics to focus on during the session, please email me directly at arlene.weible at state.or.us<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us>

Thanks!

Arlene Weible
Chair, OLA/DIGOR
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
Library Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St NE
Salem OR, 97301