[Libs-Or] Oregon's Driver card not available until January 2014

Alice Laviolette alice.laviolette at state.or.us
Thu May 9 16:21:31 PDT 2013

I’m passing along this news release from ODOT, regarding the new Oregon Driver card program.  Public library staff, in particular, may be asked questions about this new service.  The new cards will not be available until January 2014.  ODOT is expecting that many people will be applying for these cards.

--Alice LaViolette
Government Research Services
Oregon State Library
Salem, OR

[https://resources.govdelivery.com/resources/ORDOT/ODOT-900px.JPG]

May 9, 2013
ODOT News Release No. 13-090
News media contact: David House, 503-945-5270

Driver card not available until January 2014

Legislation signed into law takes effect next year

A new driving card authorized by Oregon lawmakers this year will not be available until January 2014.
The Oregon Legislature passed Senate Bill 833 and the governor signed it on May 1. The new law authorizes DMV to issue driving privileges to people who cannot prove lawful presence in the United States but meet all other Oregon driver licensing requirements, such as proof of identity, age and address in Oregon, as well as passage of driver knowledge and skills tests and payment of fees.
During the next seven months, DMV will make preparations such as:

* Formulate administrative rules to define card issuance standards
* Finalize design features of the new cards and update computer systems
* Train existing DMV employees on new business processes
* Hire additional staff and train them for an expected increase in customers when the card becomes available in January

“We have about seven months to implement this law,” DMV Administrator Tom McClellan said. “It’s a very tight schedule when you consider the amount of work to implement the new program and prepare for an increase in customer visits. But I’m confident we will be ready by January.”
Later this year, DMV will provide details about applying for a Driver Card, as well as tips for avoiding longer lines expected the first few months of 2014. For example, people who currently hold an Oregon driver license or ID card may wish to check their expiration date. If their ID card or license is set to expire in early 2014, they may wish to renew before the end of 2013.
DMV also suggests that you first check www.OregonDMV.com<http://links.govdelivery.com:80/track?type=click&enid=ZWFzPTEmbWFpbGluZ2lkPTIwMTMwNTA5LjE4NjE5NjQxJm1lc3NhZ2VpZD1NREItUFJELUJVTC0yMDEzMDUwOS4xODYxOTY0MSZkYXRhYmFzZWlkPTEwMDEmc2VyaWFsPTE3MTE3NjUwJmVtYWlsaWQ9YWxpY2UubGF2aW9sZXR0ZUBzdGF0ZS5vci51cyZ1c2VyaWQ9YWxpY2UubGF2aW9sZXR0ZUBzdGF0ZS5vci51cyZmbD0mZXh0cmE9TXVsdGl2YXJpYXRlSWQ9JiYm&&&100&&&http://www.OregonDMV.com> before visiting a field office in person. Customers can complete some DMV business online or find out how to make their visit as efficient as possible.