[Libs-Or] libraries and privacy

Roberta Richards rrichard at pcc.edu
Mon Nov 4 09:23:07 PST 2013

Do you have experience addressing privacy issues at your library that you
would like to share?

The OLA Intellectual Freedom Committee is looking for colleagues from
different types of libraries to join our panel discussions at the OLA
Conference <http://www.olaweb.org/ola-conference-2014> next April in
Salem.  We are also compiling  resources for a privacy toolkit on these
issues that will be relevant for Oregon libraries.

Does your library educate patrons about privacy and related issues in any
way?  For example, do you teach kids about being safe online?  Do you help
seniors be savvy about their Facebook privacy settings?  Do you teach
college students to protect and manage their identity online?  If your
library is educating the public about privacy-related issues, formally or
informally, we would like to hear about this service.

Also, we are looking for panelists and resources from different library
types about how privacy is addressed in your library.  Has your library
conducted a privacy audit?  How do you train staff about privacy issues?
Do you have a process for reviewing the privacy protections in third party
vendor contracts?   We would like to learn from your experiences.

For all of us working in libraries, we face the challenge of embracing new
technologies and meeting changing expectations for services, while still
adhering to the core library values of protecting privacy and
confidentiality.  Please share your experiences and resources, so we can
puzzle this out together!  Contact Garnetta Wilker, IFC co-chair <
gwilker at pps.net> or me <rrichard at pcc.edu> to learn more about the panel
discussions planned at the OLA Conference and the Privacy Toolkit.

Thank you!

--
Roberta Richards
Faculty Reference Librarian