[Libs-Or] INFORMATION: ALA urges swift action on E-rate reforms

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 12:43:02 PST 2013

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/11/ala-urges-swift-action-e-rate-reforms/

ALA urges swift action on E-rate reforms
Posted on November 8, 2013 by Jazzy Wright

Today, the American Library Association filed reply
comments<http://www.ala.org/offices/sites/ala.org.offices/files/content/oitp/publications/officialfilings/ALA_E-rate_Reply_Comments_11_7_2013.pdf>(pdf)
with the Federal
Communications Commission <http://www.districtdispatch.org/tag/fcc/> to
swiftly reform the federal E-rate
program<http://www.districtdispatch.org/category/e-rate/>so that our
nation's learners are connected to high-capacity broadband
through libraries and schools (read the full ALA
statement<http://www.ala.org/news/node/9639>
).

"High-capacity broadband drives innovation and underpins modern library
services in public and school libraries," said ALA President Barbara
Stripling. "As we make a massive transition from physical to digital
collections, boost wireless access and deploy digital media creation labs,
a robust and future-focused E-rate program is vital for supporting our
nation's learners. We cannot afford to dumb-down services due to bandwidth
limitations."

The average public library has about the same connectivity as the average
home--limiting libraries' ability to serve communities' education,
employment and e-government needs. With an average of 16.4 public computers
and more than 40 percent of libraries with maximum internet speeds of less
than 4 Mbps speeds or less, we are falling behind.

ALA proposes two limited-term programs that build on President Obama's
ConnectED initiative and address the greatest barriers to increasing
bandwidth:

   - *ConnectUS* would jumpstart high-capacity connections to libraries and
   schools where such broadband is not currently available.
   - Fast Internet Networks for All Libraries (*FINAL*) is a pilot proposal
   for communities where high-capacity connections are available, but the
   library lacks the funding and/or technical expertise to realize major
   broadband upgrades.

"The ALA is gratified by the outpouring of comments in this proceeding
highlighting the importance of the E-rate program to providing the
educational technology our students and learners need for 21st century
digital opportunity," said Marijke Visser, assistant director of the ALA
Office for Information Technology Policy.

"We also note the broad recognition that demand vastly outpaces current
available funding. With all Commissioners now in place, the FCC should not
delay in making necessary reforms, especially considering Chairman
Wheeler's strong support for the E-rate program."

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/11/ala-urges-swift-action-e-rate-reforms/

--
*Diedre Conkling*

*Lincoln County Library DistrictP.O. Box 2027Newport, OR 97365Phone & Fax:
541-265-3066Work email**:
**diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org*<diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org>
*Home email: **diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou