[Libs-Or] Training in Vancouver: Sing With Our Kids

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Thu Sep 12 17:52:04 PDT 2013

Hi folks,

Our friends in Washington wanted me to let you all know that there is still room for the Vancouver session (Fort Vancouver Regional Library) of the Sing With Our Kids FREE training on Sept 27. Registration for this session<http://www.sos.wa.gov/library/libraries/training/trainingReg.aspx?session=3406&event=1973&standby=false&title=Sing%20With%20Our%20Kids> closes on the 14th so hurry!

Sing With Our Kids<http://www.sos.wa.gov/library/libraries/training/trainingDesc.aspx?session=3406>

Based on Nancy Stewart's two-year Sing With Our Kids pilot project for early learning through community singing; Nancy will model how to use songs and singing to create community, promote early literacy, and incorporate technology responsibly.

Attendees will be able to:

*         Enhance programming with extensive free materials generated from the project including: songs and rhymes, information on early literacy, and specific tools for integrating existing library materials with those project materials.

*         Plan and host multi-generational singing events both in library and community settings that provide education about the role singing plays in early literacy while building family and community

*         Use project materials to raise awareness of library resources while facilitating their use across all environments of the young child's life from home and extended family, to school and community

*         Use project materials in unique ways to incorporate technology responsibly into early literacy programming and community outreach

Nancy Stewart is a professional musician who has won national and local awards for her songwriting and children's recordings. She has shared the stage with Burl Ives, Shirley Jones, Bill Cosby, and Lily Tomlin at concerts and nightclubs across the United States and Canada. As lead guitarist and vocalist she performed with Randy Sparks and the Back Porch Majority, and recorded several albums in Nashville and Los Angeles, the Disney movie theme "The Apple Dumpling Gang", and numerous radio and TV commercials.

Currently, Nancy performs for and teaches young children in the Seattle area, where she lives with her husband Wayne and their dog Jack. Her two children, Ellen and Jonathan, live nearby and visit often! In April 2003, Nancy was honored by CAYAS (Children and Young Adult Services Interest Group of the Washington Library Association) with their AWARD FOR VISIONARY LIBRARY SERVICE TO YOUTH. This was the first time the award has been presented to non-library personnel.

Lunch is provided for all attendees. Registration will close on each session when full or 2 weeks prior to the session so that catering can be arranged. Funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) through the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA).

Cheers,
Darci
Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant * Library Development Services
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>