[Libs-Or] Pew Internet Report Released: "Cell Phone Activities 2013"

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Thu Sep 19 11:42:14 PDT 2013

Greetings everyone!

Pew Internet has released another report, "Cell Phone Activities 2013" that will probably be of interest to most of us:

Web page: http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Cell-Activities.aspx

Overview:
Fully 91% of American adults own a cell phone and many use the devices for much more than phone calls. In our most recent nationally representative survey, we checked in on some of the most popular activities people perform on their cell phones and found:

  *   81% of cell phone owners send or receive text messages
  *   60% of cell phone owners access the internet
  *   52% send or receive email
  *   50% download apps
  *   49% get directions, recommendations, or other location-based information
  *   48% listen to music
  *   21% participate in a video call or video chat
  *   8% "check in" or share their location

Full report: web page<http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Cell-Activities/Main-Findings.aspx> or PDF document<http://www.pewinternet.org/~/media/Files/Reports/2013/PIP_Cell%20Phone%20Activities%20May%202013.pdf>

Related reports: Cell Internet Use 2013<http://www.pewinternet.org/Reports/2013/Cell-Internet.aspx> (released on Sept 16, 2013)

Cheers!
Darci

Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant * Library Development Services
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>