[Libs-Or] Call for Proposals: Library Instruction West 2014

Joan Petit jpetit at pdx.edu
Fri Sep 20 11:52:10 PDT 2013

Call for Proposals

Library Instruction West 2014: Open, Sustainable Instruction

The Library Instruction West 2014 Program Committee invites you to submit a
proposal for a presentation at our conference, to be held on the campus of
Portland State University (PSU) in Portland, Oregon from July 23-25, 2014.

Library Instruction West is the new name for the popular LOEX of the West
conference. The new name reflects the mission of the conference and
reflects our regional spirit; it also distinguishes this conference from
the national LOEX organization and conference (with which we were never
affiliated).

The Library Instruction West 2014 theme is “Open, Sustainable Instruction.”
We are excited to highlight Portland’s reputation for green living and
PSU’s emphasis on sustainability as a core value and research focus. At the
same time, we have much to learn from each other about creating effective,
long-lasting library instruction programs that are truly sustainable. Ideas
for possible sessions include:

   -

   Scalability: How can a program grow when resources don’t?
   -

   Lo-fi: Sharing ideas about engaging students without fancy gadgets
   -

   Care & feeding of your inner teacher: Pedagogical approaches that keep
   us excited
   -

   Collaboration: Partnerships that grow beyond individual relationships
   and individual campuses
   -

   Online presence: Balancing potential with planning
   -

   Renewable resource: Diversity in the library ecosystem
   -

   Sustaining and renewing programs in changing academic environments

Please visit the conference website for more information:
http://library.pdx.edu/liwest2014.html

Session Formats

Our session formats are simple and, we hope, allow for creativity. There
are two options for session length, 15 minutes and 45 minutes. The 15
minute sessions will be like a longer lightning talk, with roughly 10
minutes of presenting and 5 minutes for questions. Bring your energy! The
format is flexible for the 45 minute sessions, and you are welcome to
experiment with format or go with something more traditional like a panel,
workshop, or presentation. All proposals will be blind reviewed.

Proposal Submissions

The deadline for submitting your session proposal is 5:00 pm PST, Friday,
November 15, 2013.

For your proposal, please submit two session descriptions:

1. A short abstract of 150 words or less. If your proposal is accepted, we
will use this abstract for the conference program. The review committee
will not see these abstracts, so they can include identifying information.

2. A longer session description of 500 words or less. The Program Committee
will review this description for selection purposes. This description must
not include any identifying information about the institution or presenters
to ensure a blind review.

The submission form is available here: http://bit.ly/LIW2014

Session proposals will be scored on these criteria:

   -

   Clarity of goals or objectives for session
   -

   Originality, creativity, or innovation in content and/or presentation
   -

   Timeliness/relevance of content
   -

   Connection to conference theme, “Open, Sustainable Instruction”

Timeline

November 15, 2013: Deadline for proposal submission

January 20, 2014: Acceptance notifications sent via email

February 21, 2014: Session confirmations due

July 23 - 25, 2014: Library Instruction West in Portland, Oregon

Publication

We are pleased to continue a successful relationship with Reference
Services Review<http://www.emeraldinsight.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=rsr&PHPSESSID=v5244shrv5rlmmk8meu6irui60>.
Presenters are encouraged to submit a paper based on their presentation for
inclusion in a special issue of *RSR*. Selected papers will be published,
subject to double blind peer review, in 2015. Information about the journal
is available on their website: http://bit.ly/1buhSdX

Contact information for questions:

Questions about submitting a proposal?

Sara Thompson, Chair, Program Committee