[Libs-Or] Weeding question: diet & alternative medicine

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Tue Apr 8 14:37:08 PDT 2014

Can someone point me to suggested guidelines for things like diet books
and alternative medicine books? I’m doing a pretty big weed of my
medical/health section for content right now -- we’ve already weeded for
circ, and now I’m going back through and getting rid of stuff that’s
outdated or superseded.
I’m finding that a lot of our dieting books and herbal/alternative
medicine books are quite old (10+ years) but still circulate heavily,
and I’m not entirely sure what the best course of action is. In some
cases there are newer editions, so I’m purchasing those, but a lot of
them are just plain old. Should I just assume a fad diet book from ten
or more years ago may no longer contain the most relevant nutritional
information and discard it, even if it’s still popular? Does anyone have
any tips on evaluating herbal remedy resources or other alternative
health books (acupressure, "energy work," etc.)? For any herb books, I
usually check the entries on some of the herbs I know have
recently-discovered contraindications to see if that information is
included (for example, does the book mention that St. John's Wort
interferes with hormonal birth control?) but for less scientifically
based works I'm not sure how to best evaluate.
I work at a public library and thus our collection is primarily popular
materials, no real research or concerns about historical relevance.

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201