[Libs-Or] New Book Available from State Library => Story Smart: Using the Science of Story to Persuade

Jennifer Maurer jennifer.maurer at state.or.us
Thu Dec 11 17:12:18 PST 2014

This new book is available for interlibrary loan (ILL) from the Oregon State Library (OSL).

[StorySmart.jpg]
Haven, K. (2014). Story Smart: Using the Science of Story to Persuade, Influence, Inspire, and Teach. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited. ISBN: 978-1-61069-811-5
This one-of-a-kind book explores the neuroscience behind persuasion and influence to reveal the role that storytelling plays in inspiring, enlightening, and educating an audience. Storytelling has been used for centuries as a means to sway public opinion, influence behavior, and inspire change. Yet according to recent research, 98 percent of stories shared are ineffective, and one-third of all narratives are actually counterproductive to delivering the meaning intended by the teller. Author Kendall Haven contends that you can craft messages that will resonate effectively with your audience by learning and utilizing the science of story. Based on breakthroughs in the fields of neural and cognitive sciences, this book demonstrates how stories can …
[read more at http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/2014/12/story-smart.html]

We also have the related title by the same author, Story Proof: The Science Behind the Startling Power of Story. Read about it at http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/2008/07/story-proof-book.html.

[story.proof.jpg]

If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library, please use your library's established interlibrary loan process (e.g. OCLC or ALA request form). Otherwise, send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us<mailto:library.request at state.or.us> or (fax) 503-588-7119. Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos). Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way. Normally a single copy is purchased and is loaned on a first-come-first-serve basis. You may be put on a hold list for several weeks. Thank you for your patience.
Most library staff are able to use their library’s interlibrary loan service to borrow professional development material. However, if you do not have access to these services or are not currently affiliated with a library, please contact me to discuss alternative options for borrowing the material.
Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog<http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/> to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog<http://catalog.osl.state.or.us/> for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions. See the blog for an input form or email us.

This collection is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.
Thanks,
Jen
Jennifer Maurer
School Library Consultant
Oregon State Library
250 Winter Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
503.378.5011
jennifer.maurer at state.or.us<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>

OSLIS || www.oslis.org
Learn to research. Research to learn.[http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/image/31a72e4f-b814-4f9c-9362-ca93bcb54f8c][http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/image/a2ac07a8-35cf-434f-a78f-10a46812c73a][http://ola.memberclicks.net/message2/image/616302a2-093d-43c4-b1b6-d85b0253b882]