[Libs-Or] How to Talk About Talking Books

Elke Bruton elke.bruton at state.or.us
Tue Feb 4 13:27:57 PST 2014

They say we don't know what we don't know.
At Talking Book and Braille Services we have created a one sheet document to help you talk about Talking Books when questions arise.  I like to think of this as an extended brochure-what we'd really love to stuff into a single tri-fold if keeping people's interest was no object!  I have included the text below for easy reference, but the attached document has our contact information, logo, letterhead, etc.  It's something you can distribute to coworkers or community members.  There is no wrong way to share this document.  Please feel free to call or email with any questions you may have about Talking Books-any time!

Regards,
Elke
503-578-5455 (direct)
elke.bruton at state.or.us<mailto:elke.bruton at state.or.us>
503-378-5389 (general Talking Books line)
tbabs.info at state.or.us<mailto:tbabs.info at state.or.us> (general assistance)

See attached document for  printable version

How to Talk About Talking Books

Talking Book and Braille Services is a FREE library that loans books and magazines in special formats to people who cannot see standard print, cannot hold a book, or have a physically based reading disability.

But what does that really mean? H   Here is a handy guide to help you talk about Talking Books!

About the Library

  *   Talking Books are not JUST for blind people.  The library is available to people who suffer from physical disabilities or illnesses that prevent them from holding a book, sitting up for periods of time, or turning the pages of a book.
  *   Our library serves people of ALL ages.  Our youngest user is 3 years old and our oldest is 104...and we have books for all tastes and interest levels!
  *   Talking Books are completely FREE. There is no charge for the books, the talking book player, or the postage to mail the books back to the library.
  *   Talking Books is located at the Oregon State Library in Salem.  The library serves all eligible Oregonians by shipping books through the US Postal Service.

Books and Equipment

  *   What kind of books does the library have?  All kinds!  Our library has the same books that are found in your public library.
  *   All audio books in the library are narrated by professional voice-over actors.
  *   The library has over 35,000 books in audio and 12,000 in Braille with over 100 new books added each month.
  *   When books go out in the mail how do you know what to send?  The main way that our users get books is by telling us what subjects and authors they like.  They can even tell us subjects they don't want.  We call it "auto-selection."  Users can also get books by giving us lists of requests.  Any time a request is available, it will go out ahead of an "auto-selected" book.
  *   The audio books require special playback equipment-but that is provided by the library for free on "extended loan."
  *   What happens if the books get lost in the mail? If the books are lost or damaged just call the library-there is no charge for lost or damaged materials.
  *   What about the player?  Same thing applies-call the library and they will replace the player right away.
  *   By the way, all books have a 6-week loan period and there are no fines for overdue books.
  *   In addition to audio and Braille books, Talking Books loans audio magazines and videos.
  *   Talking Books also provides access to downloadable books (BARD), NFB-NEWSLINE (newspapers by phone), and the League of Women Voters voters' guide (during major elections).

Registration

  *   How does a person get signed up for Talking Books?  The process is very easy.  Just fill out an application for service and have the last page signed by nurse, doctor, librarian, therapist, activity director, social worker, or teacher.
  *   If you are not sure who qualifies to sign an application for somebody, call us and ask! 800-452-0292.
  *   Return the signed application to Talking Books.  We will contact you to confirm, process the application, and put a player and a couple of books in the mail to get you started.

Downloadable Books (BARD)

  *   BARD stands for the Braille and Audio Reading Download.
  *   All of the audio books (and most of the Braille books) provided by our library are available for on-demand download.
  *   Download the books to a flash drive for use with the player provided, or use the BARD Mobile app on your iOS mobile device (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch).
  *   This part of our library is also FREE.

History

  *   The Library of Congress started (what would become) the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) in 1931 after the Pratt-Smoot Act was passed.
  *   This library has existed in Oregon since 1932; one year after the NLS began creating regional libraries across the country.
  *   The library was originally called Books for the Blind and was provided by the Multnomah County Library System until 1969 when it was joined with the Oregon State Library.
  *   Talking Book and Braille Services is a joint partnership between the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped and the Oregon State Library.

[bookshelf]

---------------------
Elke H. Bruton, MLIS
Public Services Librarian