[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacoun] Tomorrow is "The Day We Fight Back" - day of action on surveillance and privacy reforms

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 08:50:50 PST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Courtney F" <court1824 at gmail.com>
Date: Feb 10, 2014 8:40 AM
Subject: [alacoun] Tomorrow is "The Day We Fight Back" - day of action on
surveillance and privacy reforms
To: "TLA-L" <TLA-L at listserv.utk.edu>

  *From:* Jonathan Kelley [mailto:jokelley at ala.org <jokelley at ala.org>]
*Sent:* Friday, February 07, 2014 1:33 PM
*To:* ifrt-b at ala.org; ifrt-members at ala.org; ifaction at ala.org;
stateifc at ala.org; ala-ifc at ala.org; publib at listserv.oclc.org
*Subject:* [ifaction] "The Day We Fight Back" - Feb 11th day of action on
surveillance and privacy reforms

*From ALA Washington Office's District Dispatch blog
<http://www.districtdispatch.org/>:*

*[Heads up] The Day We Fight Back: Feb 11th day of action on surveillance
and privacy reforms*

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2014/02/heads-day-fight-back-feb-11th-day-action-surveillance-privacy-reforms/

On Tuesday, February 11th, library supporters are asked to mount a major
action to urge Congress to pass major reforms to our surveillance laws. As
part of The Day We Fight Back <https://thedaywefightback.org/>, thousands
of websites will host banners urging people to call Congress to stop mass
surveillance. You can use ALA's legislative action
center<http://capwiz.com/ala/home/>
 and library text alerts <http://www.districtdispatch.org/textalerts/> to
call in to members of your congressional delegation to urge them to vote
for reforms such as those in the USA FREEDOM Act (S.1599 and H.R.3361) and
other reform proposals.

Tuesday ALA will send out a blast email to ALA members with instructions
and a basic message to help you contact your senators and representatives.
Please push other friends and colleagues to do the same. We want to flood
the Congressional switchboards.

ALA is making this effort because of the library community's long standing
commitment to privacy, starting with the protection of patron library
records. Grassroots support from ALA has meant a lot to the reform attempts
since passage of the USA PATRIOT Act in 2001. Now with public knowledge
about the extensive surveillance of telephone records and other
revelations, there is an opportunity get some real reforms to the
surveillance system. That is why we need our library voices to express the
need for ending mass surveillance, bring due process to the FISA court
process and rationality to the collection and retention of data about
millions of people. This is Day of Action is done in collaboration with
EFF, ACLU, Amnesty International, and more.

Please be ready to help protect privacy February 11th.

jkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjkjk

Jonathan Kelley

Program Officer

Office for Intellectual Freedom <http://www.ala.org/oif>