[Libs-Or] Finding Health and Wellness @ the Library

Arlene Weible arlene.weible at state.or.us
Wed Jan 22 12:33:58 PST 2014

I recently learned of a great resource for libraries who are looking to increase their staff training around health literacy issues.

Finding Health and Wellness @ the Library: A CONSUMER HEALTH TOOLKIT FOR LIBRARY STAFF
2nd Edition - July 2013
Published by the California State Library in conjunction with National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Pacific Southwest Region
www.library.ca.gov/lds/docs/HealthToolkit.pdf<http://www.library.ca.gov/lds/docs/HealthToolkit.pdf>

This guide identifies the core competencies needed by library staff, plus numerous resources to help libraries provide quality consumer health services to members of the public. It is broken into the follow sections, providing a good framework for developing topics for an ongoing training program.

*         Core Competencies

*         Health Resources

*         Consumer Health Information Services

*         Technology & Health 2.0

*         Workplace Wellness

*         Resources for Serving Health Care Professionals

I discovered this and many other health literacy resources through the webinars presented in the Health Happens in Libraries project hosted by WebJunction and funded by IMLS. http://www.webjunction.org/explore-topics/ehealth.html I highly recommend this site for the training resources it provides, but also for generating ideas for community programming and activities around health literacy in public libraries. Check out the Library Stories section of the site if you need some inspiration!

--Arlene
Arlene Weible
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
Library Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St NE
Salem OR, 97301