[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacoun] Calls Needed to Support of LSTA & School Libraries

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 11:57:48 PDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Emily Sheketoff <esheketoff at alawash.org>
Date: Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM
Subject: [alacoun] Calls Needed to Support of LSTA & School Libraries
To: "ALA Council (alacoun at ala.org)" <alacoun at ala.org>

 Hi Folks,

You may have seen our email action alerts in District Dispatch last week
and today on support for LSTA and school library funding through IAL
(Innovative Approaches to Literacy). I'm hoping you can activate your state
networks to help us generate some calls into Congress in support of these
"Dear Colleague" letters that are circulating in the House and Senate.
These letters address two programs (Library Services and Technology Act &
school library grants).  These issues will also be a major focus of this
year's Leg Day May 5 & 6.

*Please call your members of Congress at 202-224-3121 <202-224-3121> today
in support of LSTA and IAL or use capwiz at* www.ala.org/takeaction

Your members of Congress can help support funding for libraries and all it
takes is a short phone call. In both the U.S House and Senate, there are
two "Dear Colleague" letters circulating that your legislators can sign on
to in order to support libraries. One letter supports funding for the
Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) and the other letter supports
funding for the Innovative Approaches to Literacy (IAL) competitive grant
program.

Here is a sample call script just to show you how easy these calls can be:

*Good afternoon, my name is (xxxxx) and I'm a supporter of the (xxxx
library) in your district (state if it's a senator). I'm calling to ask for
(xxxx's) signature on two "Dear Colleague" letters that support funding for
libraries. *

*One letter supports funding for the Library Services and Technology Act
(LSTA). LSTA is primary source of funding for libraries in the federal
budget and helps many libraries provide services like job search training,
digital literacy workshops, and summer reading programs. According to the
most recent data, there were 1.53 billion in-person visits to libraries in
2011. *

*The other letter supports funding for the Innovative Approaches to
Literacy grant program. This program allows for low-income school libraries
to apply for a grant to help update books and materials. *

*We'd really appreciate (xxxx's) signature on these two letters. Libraries
remain a crucial part of communities across the country and your support is
greatly appreciated. *

To find more talking points and calling information you can visit the
Legislative Action Center at www.ala.org/takeaction:

House Alert <http://capwiz.com/ala/callalert/index.tt?alertid=63130696>

Senate Alert <http://capwiz.com/ala/callalert/index.tt?alertid=63130726>

If a Congressional office ever asks you a question you don't know the
answer to, simply say you can check and get back to them. My colleagues and
I are happy to help you with their questions. Thanks so much for your
support, it helps keep these critical programs funded!

Emily Sheketoff

--
*Diedre Conkling*

*Lincoln County Library DistrictP.O. Box 2027Newport, OR 97365Phone & Fax:
541-265-3066Work email**:
**diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org*<diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org>
*Home email: **diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou