[Libs-Or] ACTION: Take Up and Pass a Strong USA FREEDOM Act Now

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 14:25:35 PST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "ALA Washington Office" <districtdispatch at alawash.org>
Date: Nov 17, 2014 1:28 PM
Subject: Take Up and Pass a Strong USA FREEDOM Act Now
To: <diedre08 at gmail.com>

        Now is the time for librarians and others on the front lines
fighting for privacy and civil liberties to heed ALA President Courtney
Young's call to "Advocate. Today.” - and we do mean *today*.

Here's the situation:

Thanks to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Senators will cast a key vote
on Tuesday afternoon that is, in effect, "do or die" for meaningful USA
PATRIOT Act reform in the few remaining weeks of the “lame duck” Congress.
If Senators Reid and Patrick Leahy can't muster 60 votes on Tuesday to
bring Senator Leahy’s USA FREEDOM Act
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxZyWOB6fZfyzymX0vp-vvbg39eV9C1UbB4_JVZczY7NVxcmDqLHdi_XckfsNs2SuAu2k46UkV0m08D-UpZ10LyVaDmDk5_jsB_bnMluhmCVPz8VAESMi8kCPnjl2GDJWxOpPfe_Z9dPt4j42sM-LSXvVYkzvREhL9uUSSE-RtI4-9GcbtI3FNZyqljbmCXZI3&lp=0>
(S. 2685
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxyMLkAdsQ9Xh4zcOFA4p3uvFaZ1-f3_tIiXSISZkHs9QLYy0NoN9fP-iVM9PYS88rPz_VPXQ4O_R804qasuzDb1mKQ52Z9grFl40hz-G1Sk5R4_PZxfr3fRJxR_ci9JxDLeMC6_eeFmLfBaLh8aiFP63B8bKuVGDa6AQGXMRT_l8&lp=0>)
to the floor, then the overwhelming odds are that another bill nearly as
good won’t have a prayer of passage for many years. Sadly, it’s not at all
certain that 60 Senators are leaning in that direction.
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxGaByePkl3j4o8CK4x0SxJsvI4-l2TgPib5jyG2AiTf3I3xkWIkqc4akjuIKMoKbGBxv-FozPNrxHOLchH65Eu9uKjsfqdbsq2HmrFiPxp_2YVkSiOja-F9_bvLKh7hpcXvuuAGrL6UCZqGFzeI-bHdasxPWQHs0U3Vp7bi-4fXOt9pjkBTntjX-_gYhvdSmqLHaUyneLjwRUNRvOp0Weooip-IVyu3ZnHa6fGPtOMPA&lp=0>
That’s where you come in!

Now is the time for librarians (and everyone else concerned with their
privacy and all of our civil liberties) to come to the aid of Sens. Leahy
and Reid, and their country. Just click the big “Click Here to Act Now”
button below to quickly and automatically identify your Senators and
Representative in the House, and to send them a letter we’ve drafted for
you with just one click asking them to take up and pass Sen. Leahy’s USA
FREEDOM Act without any harmful amendments.

Acting now is critical . . . and it's easy and fast. Please contact your
members of Congress.

Click Here to Act Now
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/take-action?engagementId=69398&ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxxRIJ9a53Rwq49czfq9lGPLs0ffiuLfHZtjq9oJKQ2zAfTMMh_iDwiAcHxo2gxBwZerce7ZsMj2gJSRd_7wLb_bEyYgYAtpenPlTroNY2-EM&lp=0>

        Unsubscribe