[Libs-Or] Library holdings of Alvin M. Josephy journal articles

Rich Wandschneider rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 14:36:53 PDT 2015

Dear Librarians,

I am new at this game, organizing the library’s books, journals, and papers
so that they become “useful.” To remind, Alvin M. Josephy Jr. was a noted
historian of and advocate for American Indians. In our region, his *The Nez
Perce Indians and the Opening of the Northwest*, published in 1965, is
still the definitive book on the tribe, time, and place. His essay on the
“Great Northwest Fishing War” in *Now That the Buffalo’s Gone* is essential
historical background to understanding current salmon issues. Finally,
Alvin became the founding board chair of the Smithsonian’s National Museum
of the American Indian.

Did I mention that Alfred A. Knopf was his uncle?

Enough biography.  We have organized our holdings of journal and magazine
articles written by Josephy. They are all listed on the spread sheet
included as an attachment here. Please feel free to distribute as you see
fit.

By the way, we are especially proud of the interview with President
Cardenas and the piece on Leon Trotsky, both written on his 1937 trip to
Mexico (when he was 22!)

As a bonus, I am attaching the pdf of the full article on the “Custer
Myth,” published in LIfe Magazine in 1971. We do have pdfs of several
articles listed on the spread sheet. And we are willing to make copies of
other materials when needed.

Thank you for your help in distributing this information. I get the
occasional call on articles, but as I read and study, I realize how timely
much of what he wrote still is, and want to help others find and use it.

be well,
rich wandschneder, The Josephy Library

rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
josephylibrary.blogspot.com/